A Question Regarding UCD!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fatal_Oblivion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!...I lied!..lol, i actually have a couple of questions regarding UCD!..First of all, i would like to know what the Foundation Year in Medicine consists of, cuz i'm totally confused as in parts of the website, it said that u do Biology, Chemistry, Exp. Physics and Clinical Science, whereas in other parts it stated that u do Anatomy 1 and Histology, as well as the others that i mentioned above!..I'm totally confused and would like to know the answer to it..Another thing, as i'm an international student, what would u recommend me to go for, Trinity's new 5-year programme, or UCD's 6 year programme?..I've read some posts about those two, but would like to know more about them..I personally visited Trinity and the campus was damn good!..I don't know about UCD though..Ohh also last but not least, for those who know about UCD, do u guys tend to do dissections in the Foundation Year, or do u start it in First Year?
I greatly appreciate a soon response...Merci a million! :D

Members don't see this ad.

foundation year at ucd is bio, chem, and physics until christmas, then just chem and physics after. don't think there is any clinical science. might be a little bit. no dissections in foundation year. no idea about the 5 year trinity program vs 6 year at ucd.

No one would really be able to help with the 5-year program at Trinity, as it hasn't been implemented yet. Plans are for next year, but with it being new, we don't know. Based off the faculty in the regular 6 year programs, I don't see it being a whole lot different. It would pretty much be a program geared towards more efficient use of time and starting clinical exposure earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
So like do u guys do dissections from 1st year onwards?..Plus what would u recommend me, an international student, to do in such a situation?..Which of trinity, UCD and UCC would u recommend me to go for?..I mean which course does have 'interesting' aspects?..and which uni of the mentioned does have good sports facilities and a good library?..I know these might not make any sense, but i would like to hear ur opinions!..Thanks again! :)

Trinity has always had a 5 year programme. Usually, 60 students enter 1st Med and 60 students enter 2nd Med (US/CDN graduates and various other international students). This year the 60 students (Leaving Cert students and A-Level students from NI/UK) that entered 1st Med (ie- pre-med) were invited to sit an apptitude test and based on the results of that, half of them went straight into 2nd Med. From next October onwards, all entrants to the medical school at Trinity will enter the 5 year programme.

The curriculum has been revised and is now systems-based. PBL (problem-based learning) features to a large extent in the pre-clinical years.

As for computer, sports and library facilities...no university has it all! Depends on what type of sports facilities you want... Trinity is currently building a new (badly needed) sports/student centre which will be like nothing else seen in any other Irish university. The current sports facilities are OK. Library facilities at the main Trinity campus are of an international standard and no other university library in Ireland comes close. The library facilities at St. James's Hospital are good also and resonably good at AMNCH in Tallaght.

In fairness, you can't really go wrong with any of the medical schools in Ireland...

Foundation Year consists of Biology, Chemistry, Experimental Physics and Clinical Science.

The biology MCQ is at Christmas, after which you drop that subject.

The Clinical Science course (which is mainly genetics) last until about February/March, after which you have an MCQ in that subject, then you drop it.

Then you have two written Finals in Physics and Chemistry in May.

There're no human dissections in Foundation Year, they start as part of the systems course in 1st Med. (Although you do dissect worms, insects and stuff as part of Biology, which has a strong Zoology/Comparitive Anatomy aspect).

Ohh i get it now..That's some pretty decent information that i got from u guys!!..Thanks a million..You guys are the best! ;)

I'm a jock. All the colleges have a good sports scene and there's a particular rivalry between Trinity and UCD. There's anything available from orienteering, windsurfing, sailing, rowing, to the more traditional stuff like soccer, basketball, rugby, etc. UCD has a private fitness center in it's sports building, so if you feel like paying for gym membership, go there. Trinity is in the process of building a sports complex, but for right now, there's a suitable gym that you pay a membership fee of 50 - 75 euro for, or 1 euro each time.

Trinity is a top research university so have a lot of literature available. But often times, if you can't find a certain book in one college, you'll be able to find it at the other college. You really shouldn't encounter this problem studying medicine.

i am an international student at ucd. i thought u should know that the ucd school will be moving to belfield in a few years, which will change things a little. library facilities at moment are ok but will improve hopefully. ucd has a rather poor reputation in terms of getting things done and being organised like you would expect in a first world country, but that is starting to change. and i am not just paddy whacking when i say that, it's bloody true. in fact, from what i hear about it from my friends, trinity is pretty much the same laid back sort of attitude. you read the book and then wham, there's this exam with an incredibly high standard. and people in ireland like totally understate their intelligence. they sort of think it's not cool to show off, which is like totally the opposite of americans. americans are like hey man, i am a gunner, i am going to shoot you down, whereas irish people are just out to laugh at you really. and people here will be like, hey yeah, that exam was tough and they will say yeah i was out drinking or whatever when you know they were sitting up in their cramped little bedsit in blackrock till like 4 am every day studying their eyes out but they will never say it. if you want to read a journal from like the mid 1970's when the country was like really really really poor, you might have a hard time finding it because the journal collections from the pre-1990's are rather spotty. but trinity doesn't have that problem because the history of trinity ensures that they have a right to every book published in the land of her majesty the queen. getting access to those books is another story, because st james library has only the last ten years of journals on file. however, i must say that these days there is not much difference between ucd and trinity, it's all the same irish standard really at the end of the day. and with the internet who cares really. as for james hospital, it's in the armpit of dublin whereas some of the ucd hospitals are in more posh suburbs (some are equally armpit like however). and dudes, jsut because rcsi has the name royal in it doesn't mean a damn thing. just means the fees are that much higher.

The current gym at trinity is passable but pretty lacking. Mostly machines and just a couple free weights. Just a tiny court as well and you can't use it without booking and paying for it. Is there another though maybe? This was the only one I found in Trinity and it was sad.

UCD's gym is quite nice. Lots of courts and nice facilities. UCC doesn't have a gym at all but they have an aggreement with a local gym that is just a 5 min walk away. It has ok machines and a pretty expansive free weight area - they need more weights though. They have 3 full courts as well for soccer, bball, and vball. Never been to RCSI's gym. From what I've seen, UCD's gym is the nicest but UCC's gym is good enough. Will have to check out Trinity's new complex when they build it! For inter-varsity matches against Trinity this year they've been renting DCU's gym and holding stuff there.

Let me know how you afford tution.I like to send my kid but hell the tution i s like school is after money.Thanks.I am in St Louis Mo.
bigguy said:
i am an international student at ucd. i thought u should know that the ucd school will be moving to belfield in a few years, which will change things a little. library facilities at moment are ok but will improve hopefully. ucd has a rather poor reputation in terms of getting things done and being organised like you would expect in a first world country, but that is starting to change. and i am not just paddy whacking when i say that, it's bloody true. in fact, from what i hear about it from my friends, trinity is pretty much the same laid back sort of attitude. you read the book and then wham, there's this exam with an incredibly high standard. and people in ireland like totally understate their intelligence. they sort of think it's not cool to show off, which is like totally the opposite of americans. americans are like hey man, i am a gunner, i am going to shoot you down, whereas irish people are just out to laugh at you really. and people here will be like, hey yeah, that exam was tough and they will say yeah i was out drinking or whatever when you know they were sitting up in their cramped little bedsit in blackrock till like 4 am every day studying their eyes out but they will never say it. if you want to read a journal from like the mid 1970's when the country was like really really really poor, you might have a hard time finding it because the journal collections from the pre-1990's are rather spotty. but trinity doesn't have that problem because the history of trinity ensures that they have a right to every book published in the land of her majesty the queen. getting access to those books is another story, because st james library has only the last ten years of journals on file. however, i must say that these days there is not much difference between ucd and trinity, it's all the same irish standard really at the end of the day. and with the internet who cares really. as for james hospital, it's in the armpit of dublin whereas some of the ucd hospitals are in more posh suburbs (some are equally armpit like however). and dudes, jsut because rcsi has the name royal in it doesn't mean a damn thing. just means the fees are that much higher.