A Quick Question about Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetTea25

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for reading!

I may fail biochemistry this semester. I am wondering if I take biochemistry over the summer again and do all right, will the optom schools average the two grades or just ignore my first attempt at biochem ?

Thank yaya

Members don't see this ad.

OptomCAS:
Q: How do I enter repeated courses?.
A: If you repeated a course, enter both courses into the coursework section. Enter the grade received for each course but only enter the course credits for the repeated course. The credits for the original course should be 0.00 so it will not be calculated into the GPA. Designate only the second course as “Repeated...”.
I'm not sure if the schools would bother to re-calculate your GPA themselves using both grades.

There have been extensive discussions about retaking classes in previous years, try using the search function to see what you can come up with.

But short, dirty, and general answer:
If you take it at the same institution, your more recent course will REPLACE the old grade, regardless of whether it's better.
If you take it at a different institution (say a cc), then the grades will be AVERAGED.

Members don't see this ad :)
There have been extensive discussions about retaking classes in previous years, try using the search function to see what you can come up with.

But short, dirty, and general answer:
If you take it at the same institution, your more recent course will REPLACE the old grade, regardless of whether it's better.
If you take it at a different institution (say a cc), then the grades will be AVERAGED.

i wanted to just jump in real quick and add:

it also depends on what school. Western will take your highest grade to replace the old one. SCCO will take all you grades and average them. no replacing. Use the search function and you'll find more specifics. best thing to do though, is call the school.

Ah yes, keywords I forgot to add: This is how OPTOMCAS will calculate your gpa on optomcas. But the schools do receive your transcripts as well and they will do their own special math to decide if you're eligible for interview/admission.

Oh, well, I mean, YOU have to send it to them. You have to contact your institution and have them send the schools a copy AS WELL as optomcas. At least that's what I think I did...I can't remember anymore...Maybe the schools that wanted an official copy stated on their supplemental...? Either way, I still had to do a **** load of paperwork despite the centralized application system.