A quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Joekenny187

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and I apologize in advance if I break any rules. I'm currently in the military and have roughly 4 years left. I'm also in school working on my prerequisites and I work about 45 hours a week. My question is... Would it be better to volunteer on the weekends at a pharmacy to gain some kind of experience, or would it be more preferable to dedicate about a year in a pharmacy after I get out and then submit some applications?
Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
 
You sound really busy but if you do have the free time then I think it would be just fine to volunteer on the weekends. Many people get into pharmacy school without having worked full time in a pharmacy. With your military background and work experience you will stand out from the crowd anyway.
 
Hey fellow SM,

Tahi has it right - You're best off volunteering on the weekends. It's good to get started early, that's for sure. Volunteer now, when you ETS you can start on applications right away (assuming your ETS date allows for you to get into the cycle.) If not, take a year off and enjoy civilian life. That is, if you can adapt to it. I know I am having a hard time dealing with lazy co-workers and supervisors who wouldn't last 30 seconds in a field unit.

Let's see, 45 hours a week... you must be in the Air Force.

:laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha, how did you guess? Thanks for the advice! I'll probably start volunteering as soon as i get back to stateside.
 
No its not a violation, I'm located at Hurlburt field 1st Special Operations wing. Are you in the military as well?
 
Yeah Florida, I know I did make it sound confusing. Reason I said when I get back is because I'm deploying in August so I wouldn't be able to volunteer until I got back. I been to Afghanistan, now Im going to Iraq.