a request

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paaricmc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i m an indian mbbs graduate planning to do pathology in the us.i ve taken the steps for the 2006 match.i ve also cleared the indian pg entrance and have landed m.d path in JIPMER(Pondicherry),india.
if its not too much trouble could u please guide me on whether i should come over to the us right now or later after the 3 yr course over here.people in india have mixed ideas bout the potential pros and cons.they also say its difficult getting into a path residency in the us these days.im pretty much confused... :confused:
much obliged
thank you
paari.

Members don't see this ad.

That really is a difficult call.

I see you have posted in the India forum as well, which is probably wise. Every IMG is different.

There are obviously pros and cons to either option: I can't offer much solid advice, except to say - what are your ambitions? How is your application for the 2006 Match looking?

Can you start the 3 year course but still apply in the Match?

paaricmc said:
hi
i m an indian mbbs graduate planning to do pathology in the us.i ve taken the steps for the 2006 match.i ve also cleared the indian pg entrance and have landed m.d path in JIPMER(Pondicherry),india.
if its not too much trouble could u please guide me on whether i should come over to the us right now or later after the 3 yr course over here.people in india have mixed ideas bout the potential pros and cons.they also say its difficult getting into a path residency in the us these days.im pretty much confused... :confused:
much obliged
thank you
paari.

To be honest, by the time you get over here, take all the bull shiat involved in getting licensed and pass through homeland security, India will be one of the largest economies in the world. Why the urge to come here? Pollution, crime and lots of growing immigration hate, I just dont understand the pull. I realize Im here and that may be a motivating factor, but still. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
SoCalRULES!!!!! said:
I would choose rads, plastics or derm! :cool:

No thanks to all three for me.

I am not sure if it will be easier or harder to get a residency spot here after doing more training there. Generally, programs like to see IMGs in a situation like yours have clinical experience (or maybe research experience) within the US before they seriously consider taking them on.

SoCalRULES!!!!! said:
I would choose rads, plastics or derm! :cool:

DOOD, dont make me bring my hommies from Echo Park over to Westwood.

EASTSIDE, BIOTCH
gangs1.jpg

deschutes said:
That really is a difficult call.

I see you have posted in the India forum as well, which is probably wise. Every IMG is different.

There are obviously pros and cons to either option: I can't offer much solid advice, except to say - what are your ambitions? How is your application for the 2006 Match looking?

Can you start the 3 year course but still apply in the Match?
yes i guess i could squeeze in some time for the match.as of now ive jus the step 1 99/255 with step 2 to go in may.
as far as ambitions are concerned mmm after residency probably a fellowship in hematopathology,work for a few years and get back to india when im around 45 or so.
thanks for the post.

yaah said:
No thanks to all three for me.

I am not sure if it will be easier or harder to get a residency spot here after doing more training there. Generally, programs like to see IMGs in a situation like yours have clinical experience (or maybe research experience) within the US before they seriously consider taking them on.
yeah i do realise that its the us exp. that counts but maybe some work experience and publications could make some difference.btw do u have any idea how the imgs fare when compared to the american grads in the path match.like their success rate and qualifications etc..
thanks.

paaricmc said:
yes i guess i could squeeze in some time for the match.as of now ive jus the step 1 99/255 with step 2 to go in may.
as far as ambitions are concerned mmm after residency probably a fellowship in hematopathology,work for a few years and get back to india when im around 45 or so.
thanks for the post.
Well, with the caveat that I know only as much info about you as you've posted here, I would do the 3 year Path course in your home country while getting things ready for next year's Match and seeing how things turn out - hopefully if you do match you will have the option to take leave of that course?

Otherwise you could finish the 3 years and apply again for the Match of, oh what would it be, 2009?

I know nothing of the quality of training in JIPMER, but I like having my bird in hand.

Again, this post is worth what you paid for it, so beware :)

LADoc00 said:
To be honest, by the time you get over here, take all the bull shiat involved in getting licensed and pass through homeland security, India will be one of the largest economies in the world. Why the urge to come here? Pollution, crime and lots of growing immigration hate, I just dont understand the pull. I realize Im here and that may be a motivating factor, but still. :rolleyes:
u are right to some extent but the us is superior in terms of technology and mordern machinery and also living standard. india will catch up sometime but not in the near future. so as of now its probably better in the us if u r interested in acquiring new skills and research.

paaricmc said:
yeah i do realise that its the us exp. that counts but maybe some work experience and publications could make some difference.btw do u have any idea how the imgs fare when compared to the american grads in the path match.like their success rate and qualifications etc..
thanks.
well several years ago when 1/3 of the pathology spots easily went to IMGs, it was all good. then recently, the # of AMG applications shot up and the IMGs ended up getting shafted. This year, the # of AMG applications closely approximate and perhaps even exceed the # of pathology residency positions offered in the Match. So now, I think the IMGs, no matter how serious they are about a career in pathology and no matter how qualified they are (i.e., kickass board scores), are getting the short end of the stick. Will this trend continue? I have no clue whether this year represents some weird high in AMG application #'s. But I would hypothesize that either we have hit a plateau this year or applications will continue to further increase.

deschutes said:
Well, with the caveat that I know only as much info about you as you've posted here, I would do the 3 year Path course in your home country while getting things ready for next year's Match and seeing how things turn out - hopefully if you do match you will have the option to take leave of that course?

Otherwise you could finish the 3 years and apply again for the Match of, oh what would it be, 2009?

I know nothing of the quality of training in JIPMER, but I like having my bird in hand.

Again, this post is worth what you paid for it, so beware :)
i do have the option of leavin the course with a not so heavy fine.jipmer is one of the top 10 institutes in this country but i believe they dont have an elec. mic. and maybe some others too, but its supposed to be good alright.
in the end i guess its a personal choice.

AndyMilonakis said:
well several years ago when 1/3 of the pathology spots easily went to IMGs, it was all good. then recently, the # of AMG applications shot up and the IMGs ended up getting shafted. This year, the # of AMG applications closely approximate and perhaps even exceed the # of pathology residency positions offered in the Match. So now, I think the IMGs, no matter how serious they are about a career in pathology and no matter how qualified they are (i.e., kickass board scores), are getting the short end of the stick. Will this trend continue? I have no clue whether this year represents some weird high in AMG application #'s. But I would hypothesize that either we have hit a plateau this year or applications will continue to further increase.
thanx andy.