-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
A-'s
Started by Chromium Surfer
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Are the bane of my existence. 😡
anyone else feel this way? lol
The A-/B+ line is the Bane of my existence... Sadly I tend towards the B+ more which is killer
sorry I feel that struggle 🙁The A-/B+ line is the Bane of my existence... Sadly I tend towards the B+ more which is killer
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would rather prefer A- over the scattering of B+s which should have been easily rounded up.....
I get A- in classes I should get A's in and B+ in classes I should get A- in..... I swear if I had an extra 1-2 percent in every class over my 4 years my GPA would be up by .3
I got a 93.8 in Anatomy and that was a A-... WTF... I needed 1 point on any homework, quiz or test to get an A and she would not budge.
I literally got a 629.5/700 total points in my genetics class, and my professor refused to give an A-. I needed half a point out of 700 and she wouldn't do it.I would rather prefer A- over the scattering of B+s which should have been easily rounded up.....
tell me about it...imagine x5 for a semester 🙁I literally got a 629.5/700 total points in my genetics class, and my professor refused to give an A-. I needed half a point out of 700 and she wouldn't do it.
It's happened around 5-6 times through college for me... what are ya gonna do about it :/ I've had some courses were I was scoring 15% above the class average, with the class curved to a B-. Instead of getting an A-/A, I got a B+. When asked, my professor said "well there are 120 students in the class, so I only wanted to give 12 A's... and you are the 14th highest grade.. so tough luck." L.O.L.tell me about it...imagine x5 for a semester 🙁
Thats freaking savage and brutal😕It's happened around 5-6 times through college for me... what are ya gonna do about it :/ I've had some courses were I was scoring 15% above the class average, with the class curved to a B-. Instead of getting an A-/A, I got a B+. When asked, my professor said "well there are 120 students in the class, so I only wanted to give 12 A's... and you are the 14th highest grade.. so tough luck." L.O.L.
Are the bane of my existence. 😡
anyone else feel this way? lol
During UG definitely. If I had a nickel for every A-/B+ that was .01% from an A, I'd have an annoying amount of nickels but not enough to buy anything cheap from the gas station lol.
A-'s are terrible. I'm fighting for an A right now. Let's see how it goes 🙁.
I got not one, but two B-'s. I probably shouldn't have even applied to med school.
Depends on the class. I got an A- in Stem Cell Bio, but that was the single hardest course I've ever taken and I fought tooth and nail for every one of those points, so I'm proud of it.
At the same time, I got an A- in physics lab by 1-2 points (and an A in the lecture), which is extremely annoying.
At the same time, I got an A- in physics lab by 1-2 points (and an A in the lecture), which is extremely annoying.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
same in Ochem I lolI got a 93.97 in biochem (a 94 was an A) and my professor gave me an A-. Three hundredths of a point off.![]()
Seriously? An A- is still an A. However your school counts it, isn't it still an A for the purposes of AMCAS/AACOMAS? I don't remember that particular bit of hair splitting when I did my app.
Seriously? An A- is still an A. However your school counts it, isn't it still an A for the purposes of AMCAS/AACOMAS? I don't remember that particular bit of hair splitting when I did my app.
No it's an A- in AMCAS 3.7
At least that's a blessing for me, my school gives 3.67 for A-, so slight bump for AMCAS gpa
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It's a shame that there's not a national grading standard. Some schools offer only solid grades (A,B,C...) while others offer degrees of grades (A, A-, B+, B...). Eventually, you're going to compete against people in the admissions process who probably received a 90 and received an A (4.0) where you scored a 92 and received an A- (~3.7). The system sucks in that respect.
Of course, it does help you if you receive a B+ instead of a B so the system can both benefit or harm you.
Of course, it does help you if you receive a B+ instead of a B so the system can both benefit or harm you.
I know of one undergrad that gives "AB" which essentially lumps A-/B+ together. Results in a 3.5, I would find that highly annoying. Especially if I was on the high end of the AB grade..
The grass is always greener on the other side. For people complaining about B+'s in this thread, would you rather have gotten B's? Sounds to me like you benefitted. In the grand scheme of things even if every A- went against you the total effect on your GPA is likely to be <0.1 so it really does not matter.
Find better things to be neurotic about. Grades honestly are not worth it.
Find better things to be neurotic about. Grades honestly are not worth it.
No it's an A- in AMCAS 3.7
At least that's a blessing for me, my school gives 3.67 for A-, so slight bump for AMCAS gpa
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
My GPA decreased slightly because apparently I had more B+ than A- so the 3.33 turned into 3.3 =/
It's amazing how much you will hate yourself for caring about this stuff after you start med school.
Why wait until then? Start now!
It's amazing how much you will hate yourself for caring about this stuff after you start med school.
I believe you. It's a mild annoyance now, I knew from the time I chose my undergrad it would be this way so can't really be too mad about it.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yep, it's terrible. My 3.5 cgpa would have been >3.6 at most schools. Oh well, got in anyway.I know of one undergrad that gives "AB" which essentially lumps A-/B+ together. Results in a 3.5, I would find that highly annoying. Especially if I was on the high end of the AB grade..
No it's an A- in AMCAS 3.7
At least that's a blessing for me, my school gives 3.67 for A-, so slight bump for AMCAS gpa
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That bites. My schools only offered plain letters, no plus or minus to confuse things. I mean, good that it gets you an extra 0.03 points to work with, but still... it should just be a 4.
It's amazing how much you will hate yourself for caring about this stuff after you start med school.
Once you've found your seat, sure, you have space to look back and say... gosh, why was I so neurotic? But when you were still trying to land that spot, it was reasonable to care.
It isn't at all absurd while you are living it, when everything seems to hinge on details and so much is out of your control.
And it isn't like that phenomenon goes away in medical school... rather, the cheese moves to a new hiding spot. The maze gets a little harder. But it is still a rat race that is going to look a lot better in hindsight than when you are down in it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A- is not too bad. At least it is better than B.
One English class I received 89.7% and received my one and only B
Come on, couldn't you have rounded it... 🙁
Nothing to complain though; Professor said in the beginning of the semester that she would still give B if anyone gets 89.99%
She really likes to see that 90.00% 😛
One English class I received 89.7% and received my one and only B
Come on, couldn't you have rounded it... 🙁
Nothing to complain though; Professor said in the beginning of the semester that she would still give B if anyone gets 89.99%
She really likes to see that 90.00% 😛
This is true. I haven't even started med school yet because I took time off, but once you graduate from UG and get away from the pressure, you quickly realize how neurotic you were and how little a few hundredths of a grade point matter.It's amazing how much you will hate yourself for caring about this stuff after you start med school.
My UG does that and I kind of like it. While it lowers your ~3.7 to 3.5, it also lowers the threshold for getting an A.I know of one undergrad that gives "AB" which essentially lumps A-/B+ together. Results in a 3.5, I would find that highly annoying. Especially if I was on the high end of the AB grade..
A- is not too bad. At least it is better than B.
One English class I received 89.7% and received my one and only B
Come on, couldn't you have rounded it... 🙁
Nothing to complain though; Professor said in the beginning of the semester that she would still give B if anyone gets 89.99%
She really likes to see that 90.00% 😛
Lines gotta get drawn somewhere. My nursing school set A at 93%. People thought they should get an A with a 92.9. Even if they made it 85, someone would want to know why it couldn't be 84.9.
It does stink to know you missed the next rank by a rounding error worth of points. But ya can't blame the professor for having standards. Those standards are what give the grades meaning. Otherwise, why not just pass out A's for showing up. Or, you know, showing up at least 89% of the time. 🙂
Literally the bane of my existence. My school set A to 96%, which was just aweful
