a survey for pre-DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vila Rancho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've posted this thread on osteopathic forum but i would like to obtain the opinions for pre-DO's out there.

If AMA would grant a MD degree for those DO students who went through allopathic residency and other 'academic requirement' upon graduation from DO schools. who would take this option?

i personally believe this option would give the truly DO physicians who use OMT techniques a more consolidating identity. more orless, this would also prevent the so called 'dichotomy' among DO themselves.

on the other hand, this option would give other DO physiscans (e.g. many subspecialized docs)the ease of explaning the letters behind their name.

this idea should make both sides happy, perhaps i should submit this idea to AMA.
what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am so sick of this damn subject. If you do not like osteopathic medicine, then don't get involved in it. If you have nothing nice to say about it, don't say anything, and if you like osteopathic medicine; welcome.

I said before, I do not have to pretend that i am a MD to have confidence in my ability as a physician(when I become one). I will be DO and proud. I will be happy to work with competent MD's And DO's, but I will not think MD's are better and I will not believe I have to pretend to be one to be accepted by people as a physician!! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
If I wanted to become an MD, I would attend an Allopathic medical school which granted this degree.

I have chosen to pursue Osteopathy because of the philisophy and techniques which make it unique and strong.

To be honest, I don't need any letters after my name...I just need the opporunity to learn and the desire to heal.

Originally posted by ChowPuppy2005:
•Some DO have the title D0/MD behind their name, did they just add the MD title themselves? What does it exactly mean when a physicians business card had the DO/MD on it?•

Maybe you should ask them when they got their degree.... They may be "old school"....

Personally, I am "into" osteopathic medicine because of its core philosophy. Similiar yet different than allopathic.

We should start a new poll....

If AOA would grant a D.O. degree for those MD students who went through osteopathic residency and other 'academic requirements' upon graduation from MD schools... Who would take this option?

Different perspective. As I read the initial post, the underlying (IMHO) pretense is that the MD degree is "above" a DO degree.
Again: Similiar yet different.

Do you believe in "God?" (god as a higher entity - please insert your definition of God in the quotes). What religion do you practice: Catholic, Buddhism, Islam, Protestant, Libertarianism, Baptist, etc, etc. All have the same general concept of God/high entity, yet all have different approaches to worship. As an individual, we choose a religion based on our personal beliefs of what is "right." The same could apply to choosing a medical philosophy.

I hope the analogy worked while maintaining "proper" political correct-ness. I am not trying to start of thread of religion practices/beliefs/etc. I'm am attempting to illustrate an analogy.

In a nutshell, some people like vanilla, some people like chocolate (I like Ben&Jerry's Nutty Waffle Cone). ;)

-A

Man, this topic REALLY pushes a lot of buttons. I'm going to NYCOM, and will be an MS-1 as of AUG. 20th. I would DEFINETELY WANT to receive an M.D., in addition to my Osteopathic Degree. Why? No not because I feel the D.O. is inferior, or I didn't get into an Allopathic school. I would rather have M.D./D.O. because the two letters "M.D." would allow for more freedom to pracice medicine overseas. However, if the D.O. was equally recognized in the U.S., and internationally, I wouldn't really care if I had M.D. or D.O., to accompany my name on a pin. I want to become a Physician, PERIOD. M.D. or D.O., either one has the right to practice medicine, and that what it boilsdown to. While the philosophies might differ, THEORETICALLY, between Allo- and Osteopathic medicine, when I actually saw D.O.'s and M.D.'s practicing medicine (ER and Family) there was NO difference between markable difference between the two. While some claim Allopathic is more disease oriented, whereas Osteopathic is more holistic. Ultimately, I believe it is the individual Physician/Person who determines thir own patient interaction syle. Whatever the philosophy of one's school, it's the person's personlity that will determine one's performance as a Physician.