A.T. Still vs. Midwestern - Glendale

Started by dacoaz77
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dacoaz77

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in the fortunate circumstance to be accepted by both programs here in Arizona. My experience with both campuses has been awesome, which leads me to this post. I am having a hard time deciding between which one to choose in the next couple of weeks. I do not have the money to pay the deposit for both schools, and I think it is unfair to other prospective physical therapy students for me to reserve two spots at the same time.

That beings said, I am looking for personal experiences from current students at either program or impressions from people who have visited or interviewed at either school. Tuition for both is a wash, as they both cost about the same. Questions I do have are as follows:

1. How is the faculty? Are they approachable and willing to help outside of classes?

2. What is your weekly schedule? Monday - Friday, 9 - 5?

3. How are living conditions in and around the campus?

4. Are there clinics close by or on campus?

5. What are first time pass rates on the NPTE at your school?

6. Overall impression of your school?

Any thoughts, opinions, and/or advice are greatly appreciated.
 
pretty good questions I'd like answers to as well, I know you and I have been speaking a little on here the last few days. I have until Nov 16 for both schools...eek!! lol. Leaning a bit towards Midwestern...
 
I am in the same boat. I have until November 16th for both schools as well. Tough decision, but one I am grateful for! I am truly split down the middle at the moment between both schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in the same boat. I have until November 16th for both schools as well. Tough decision, but one I am grateful for! I am truly split down the middle at the moment between both schools.

Yea I'm definitely very fortunate to be able to choose a school and not vice versa. I never understood why people said they applied to too many schools but now I do lol (I applied to . 10). It makes it hard to decide. I personally felt more welcomed at MU and it felt more personable. I also liked the campus more so than AT. Both are solid programs with good reputations so you really can't go wrong!
 
Hey nicolej5, I thought I would let you know that I am going to another tour at A.T. Still today to help make my decision. I will post my thoughts when I get home this evening.
 
Hey nicolej5, I thought I would let you know that I am going to another tour at A.T. Still today to help make my decision. I will post my thoughts when I get home this evening.

Good idea! Let me know if that sways your decision one way or the other.
 
Hello all!
I hope you all are enjoying the application process 🙂 (as best you can at least)..I will attempt to answer these questions as best I can and please if you have more do not hesitate to message me....

1. How is the faculty? Are they approachable and willing to help outside of classes?
- The PT faculty as well as the Basic Science faculty are both helpful. They have an open door policy so if they are in their office you can stroll right in with your questions or concerns

2. What is your weekly schedule? Monday - Friday, 9 - 5?
- This is a tough one to answer because it varies, however, as a first year student your first quarter will be more or less M-Th 9-5 (5 on some days b/c of anatomy lab, earlier other days) and 9-12 on Fridays (unless of course they change that). It really varies by quarter.

3. How are living conditions in and around the campus?
- I have never lived on campus however I know a few that do and it is very convenient and the apartments are pretty nice (from what I understand). Living nearby is very convenient and pretty affordable (especially for those coming from CA or the east coast). There are many options including houses for rent and luxury apartments within walking distance to campus.

4. Are there clinics close by or on campus?
- There are a number of clinics in the surrounding area, with many PT's from those clinics acting as adjunct faculty for labs, etc. There is not a PT clinic on campus

5. What are first time pass rates on the NPTE at your school?
- Due to currently going through the CAPTE accredidation process, there are no current pass rates. Our first graduating class will be this upcoming Spring. I encourage you to not let this deter you as the Downers Grove campus' curriculum is very much in line with Glendale and accreditation is soon coming (Downers Grove is already accredited)

6. Overall impression of your school?
- Beautiful campus, great faculty, diverse student population and there are many things to do in the area. One thing I really enjoy is the fact that during your first 3 quarters you take courses with students from the PA, NA, and Biomedical Science programs (this makes making friends easy). It's a small campus but has everything you need. They offer intramural sports if that is something your interested in and the PT club is active in putting on events for the community/school.

Again, let me know if you have any questions and hopefully we will be seeing you soon!
 
Thank you ACECPT for the informative reply. I appreciate the time you took to help out. Great information!
 
I thought about just sending you a private message nicolej5, but I figured posting my thoughts and opinions regarding the two schools might benefit someone else. That being said, I have chosen A.T. Still as my school of choice at this point in the application process.

The pros for Midwestern were the larger campus, spacious facilities, and on campus housing. The pros for A.T. Still were closer to home (I have a family I do not have to relocate), accreditation (I will say that Midwestern is in Candidate status which usually means that they will receive accreditation, but...), and the school schedule is Monday - Thursday with no school ever on Fridays. Each had cons in my book, but I will keep those to myself as those are personal opinions which are subjective.

It was a very tough decision for my family and I, but the school schedule of Monday - Thursday at A.T. Still was the clincher for us. This extra day allows me to watch my kids for half a day so that my wife can work to help keep school loans down. By doing this we are going to be saving roughly $20,000 over the three year period. That is a significant amount.
 
yea those are definitely solid reasons for yourself and family! I'm still going back and forth a bit as the deadline gets closer. I liked the schedule at AT but just because I could be lazy on friday lol definitely not the responsibility that you have with your youngsters. Good luck at AT if that is where you end up. Can I ask if you are waiting to hear back from NAU?
 
Being as first year PT student at Midwestern (with ACECPT), I completely agree with everything he has said. I was fortunate enough to be accepted at several different programs and have no regrets about choosing Midwestern.