A very peculiar predicament, to go to the match or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fortaal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a silent follower thus far, but so many people have offered such good advice for different situations I am hoping that someone of experience could do the same for my present situation. Of course this has to do with the upcoming ROL deadline and to give you a bit of background of myself, I have a primary care internship completed last year and I am participating in the match with 8 programs to rank for PGY-1 position:
Tufts, Univ FL, Univ Missouri, Univ IL, Harvard SS, WVU, Univ Kansas,UConn--in that order... but also I had applied to PGY-2 positions in which I am still waiting on 2 responses for a possible YES, AND I have been offered a prematch position at a program in the Northeast that if i were to rank it I wouldn't have ranked very high but because this is a definite offer on the table I am afraid to not go with it. I suppose you could say that I am terribly afraid to gamble by going to the match because I am not sure how strong my application is when compared with others. Also, not sure if I would be considered as a funding problem at any of the places that I have interviewed at, although they didn't say they would have a funding problem with me. I felt that all my interviews went pretty well, but everyone basically tells you the same thing so that is in itself hard to judge, if they really mean what they say or are they just being nice. I am an IMG with decent USMLE scores, good LOR's and very eager to move on with my career!! If anyone has any advice at all I would be so very appreciative, I know that it comes down to making my own decision but it is the funding issue and competitiveness that is just throwing the curve ball at this point!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been a silent follower thus far, but so many people have offered such good advice for different situations I am hoping that someone of experience could do the same for my present situation. Of course this has to do with the upcoming ROL deadline and to give you a bit of background of myself, I have a primary care internship completed last year and I am participating in the match with 8 programs to rank for PGY-1 position:
Tufts, Univ FL, Univ Missouri, Univ IL, Harvard SS, WVU, Univ Kansas,UConn--in that order... but also I had applied to PGY-2 positions in which I am still waiting on 2 responses for a possible YES, AND I have been offered a prematch position at a program in the Northeast that if i were to rank it I wouldn't have ranked very high but because this is a definite offer on the table I am afraid to not go with it. I suppose you could say that I am terribly afraid to gamble by going to the match because I am not sure how strong my application is when compared with others. Also, not sure if I would be considered as a funding problem at any of the places that I have interviewed at, although they didn't say they would have a funding problem with me. I felt that all my interviews went pretty well, but everyone basically tells you the same thing so that is in itself hard to judge, if they really mean what they say or are they just being nice. I am an IMG with decent USMLE scores, good LOR's and very eager to move on with my career!! If anyone has any advice at all I would be so very appreciative, I know that it comes down to making my own decision but it is the funding issue and competitiveness that is just throwing the curve ball at this point!!!

If you have a prematch offer, I'd take it. The match is always a gamble, esp in an IMG position.

Unless there is some glaring problem you have with the program or the location I would take the offer. You said you would rank this place very high in the match, but it sounds like it wouldn't be your number one choice. I think this place has the advantage of you starting as an R2, bypassing an extra intern year. If it is in your top 3 I would take it and not look back. If it was in your top 5 or 6 I would probably still take it. Is there a timeline on the other two PGY-2 spots? Would one of those be preferred?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell the programs you like better that you received a prematch offer but you liked their program better and you're wondering if they can consider you for a prematch.
If everyone you liked better says no to that, I'd go with the prematch. At least then you'll have at least had a shot at the places you liked better.

Hello! and thank you all for your very supportive advice! and thanks "peppy" I took your advice and made some very important phone calls and my mind is pretty much made up and look forward to what the future has in store!!!! Hope to correspond with you all again on other topics!!!:)