A visible epiglottis!

Started by UTKB
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UTKB

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So during one of my ER shifts last month I came across this 31 yo woman complaining of body aches, etc, etc. So I had her open her mouth, shined my pen light in, and HOLY CRAP there's her epiglottis waving at me from behind her tongue! Sticking way up, like if I laid her in sniffing position I could see her cords or something without a blade. I mentioned it to the ER attending and they didn't care.

I had no idea this could happen, though I am only an intern. So did a cursory search on Google Scholar, and looks like it has been mentioned in anesthesia and ENT/OMFS literature, seems more like a curiosity than a problem. Still, that was weird.
 
We have a girl in our class who has the same thing. Freaking crazy. Mallampati grade 0.
 
l saw a girl, maybe 8yr/o or something, l think she was admitted to Peds for pneumonia, she had visible epiglottis without using anything to press tongue, and with it pressed l could see cords 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have seen this alot in children. I encounter this frequently when doing physical exams on children with URI symptoms.
 
I've seen this only once, and I remarked to the patient:
"I can see your epiglottis."
"No, you can't."
"Yes, it's right there I can see it."
"No, you can't."

Not an argument I was going to win. 😴