Halaljello

Hot Oil
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2001
Chicago, IL USA
Visit site
Status
I'm gonna have a week off between 3rd and fourth year (last week of june)and was wondering if there was anything i could get involved in that might be clinically related. I know 1 week isnt a whole lot of time but I know unite for sight has had 10 day internships in certain 3rd world countries during spring break. anyone out there know of anything similar? it doesn't have to be anything international... anything will do

thanks in advance!

maqsur

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2005
Status
While it's nice that you seek extra uncommon experience during your break, don't you think it might be fun to just relax during that week? Vacations are not so easy to come by!

OP
H

Halaljello

Hot Oil
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2001
Chicago, IL USA
Visit site
Status
maqsur said:
While it's nice that you seek extra uncommon experience during your break, don't you think it might be fun to just relax during that week? Vacations are not so easy to come by!
yea i've thought about relaxing but when i took a look at my bare resume, I figured I need somthing to cush it up a little.. aside from the obvious vacation comments anyone have any other thoughts?

debvz

Wandering Spleen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Halaljello said:
yea i've thought about relaxing but when i took a look at my bare resume, I figured I need somthing to cush it up a little.. aside from the obvious vacation comments anyone have any other thoughts?
Start on your personal statement for residency applications. After staring at the blank page for an hour or so, set it aside for a few months, relax, and enjoy your week off.

Hoo\/er

if($profit){replicate();}
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2002
www.medschoolhell.com
Status
Halaljello said:
I'm gonna have a week off between 3rd and fourth year (last week of june)and was wondering if there was anything i could get involved in that might be clinically related. I know 1 week isnt a whole lot of time but I know unite for sight has had 10 day internships in certain 3rd world countries during spring break. anyone out there know of anything similar? it doesn't have to be anything international... anything will do

thanks in advance!
geezus you have got to be kidding me

multitasker

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
There is not much you can do to pad your CV in 1 wk. Saying you went to Zimbabwe during your week between 3rd and 4th year will ony freak out a residency director. It is weird and unusual...not good qualities in a potential resident.

We all need rest. If you feel you must do something, your time is better spent reviewing some stuff for your upcoming 3rd year rotation.

:thumbup:

12R34Y

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2000
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I really can't believe the question. How could you honestly want to do anything, but lounge around, spend time with family/friends etc... after a brutal third year. it's only a week. I'm taking 2 months off at the end of this (3rd year). DANG!

later

OP
H

Halaljello

Hot Oil
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2001
Chicago, IL USA
Visit site
Status
debvz said:
Start on your personal statement for residency applications. After staring at the blank page for an hour or so, set it aside for a few months, relax, and enjoy your week off.

this is actually a good idea.

tupac_don

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
Status
Halaljello said:

thanks in advance!
Yea sleep lab. Volunteer to sleep all day in the lab and let them monitor you. That way you can help further science along and say that you "worked" in the sleep lab for a week. Plus you will get pretty nice rest. That's just my suggestion.