A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

humblebii

Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there any hope for MD or DO Acceptance ? Since the research and personal statement are weak.
Thank you
I don't have the right expertise to judge your PS, however, your school list is bad. Your ECs are a bit low (not just research). In fact, only top schools really care about research, but with your MCAT they are out of the reach. Your research is fine for DO school and most MDs, but your service and clinical experience are definitely low for some schools on your list, should be fine most of them though. What about leadership?
Washington accepts very few OOS (check with MSAR).
Tulane, Wright, Rush are service oriented schools.
Cincinnati has 515 average MCAT, 512 would be fine for Ohio resident, but not for Californian.
Miami, Arizona, Colorado (not sure actually) are the same story.
You should be fine for DO schools on your list, but MD list is far perfect. May be you will get some luck from California schools. Did you use MSAR?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
University of Washington ,Seattle: 132 OOS Matriculation mcat:511 Gpa3.75
Rush mcat 511 Gpa: 3.72 92 OOS Matric
Reason: Gpa MCAT range
You should look at OOR not OOS, and not at raw numbers, but ratios, at U of WA OOR acceptance rate was 0.007%.

Reactions: 2 users
You should look at OOR not OOS, and not at raw numbers, but ratios, at U of WA OOR acceptance rate was 0.007%.

If I'm not mistaken, the OOS/OOR acceptance figures include MSTP as well, and that program does not have a strong in-region bias. Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't access MSAR right now.

If you're applying MD only and you're not WWAMI, then UW is probably the hardest school in the US to get into.

Reactions: 1 user
These schools from your original list are realistic with your stats and EC's:
CA schools- California Unversity, Kaiser, California Northstate, Loma Linda, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
George Washington University
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
Tufts
Temple
Wayne
Penn State
Virginia commonwealth
Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
You could add these MD schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
TCU-UNT

and
5 DO's
Western U
TUCOM CA
DMU
KCUCOM
PCOM
Add a few more DO schools such as
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM

Acceptances are 100% on you. You are competitive for IIs at:
UCF
Hofstra
U Toledo
U VM
Pitt
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Wayne State
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
TCU/UNT
Oakland-B
Western MI
Seton Hall
UCD
UCI
Your state school(s).
Nova MD
CUSM
Kaiser
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and has a too small a rotations base, it seems.

These schools from your original list are realistic with your stats and EC's:
CA schools- California Unversity, Kaiser, California Northstate, Loma Linda, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
George Washington University
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
Tufts
Temple
Wayne
Penn State
Virginia commonwealth
Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
You could add these MD schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
TCU-UNT

and
5 DO's
Western U
TUCOM CA
DMU
KCUCOM
PCOM
Add a few more DO schools such as
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
Wow Thank you so much!!

UCF
Hofstra
U Toledo
U VM
Pitt
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Wayne State
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
TCU/UNT
Oakland-B
Western MI
Seton Hall
UCD
UCI
Your state school(s).
Nova MD
CUSM
Kaiser
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and has a too small a rotations base, it seems.
Thank you so much Goro!!
I have read many of your comments in many posts, and have so much respect for you! I was hoping wishing you would comment, you finally did!
I am all smile.

I don't have the right expertise to judge your PS, however, your school list is bad. Your ECs are a bit low (not just research). In fact, only top schools really care about research, but with your MCAT they are out of the reach. Your research is fine for DO school and most MDs, but your service and clinical experience are definitely low for some schools on your list, should be fine most of them though. What about leadership?
Washington accepts very few OOS (check with MSAR).
Tulane, Wright, Rush are service oriented schools.
Cincinnati has 515 average MCAT, 512 would be fine for Ohio resident, but not for Californian.
Miami, Arizona, Colorado (not sure actually) are the same story.
You should be fine for DO schools on your list, but MD list is far perfect. May be you will get some luck from California schools. Did you use MSAR?
His volunteering hours are low? They seem pretty high to me. Were you comparing them to a particular school? If so, which schools expect a ridiculous amount of volunteering?

His volunteering hours are low? They seem pretty high to me. Were you comparing them to a particular school? If so, which schools expect a ridiculous amount of volunteering?
Rush. I might be biased because service is going to be my main point of my PS, but for me 200 hours of service is very low. 200 hours is like 1 hour every week throughout undergrad, if service oriented med schools really accept such applicants, then I am totally confused. I don't want to say that OP has low hours for average schools, but for service oriented ones his hours are way too low.
The Jesuit schools (Loyola, Georgetown, Creighton, SLU) and Tulane seem to place a lot of emphasis on non-clinical volunteering.
Rush has an insane service requirement! The average matriculant apparently has 600-800 hours of volunteering and something like 12-1800 patient contact hours.

Last edited:
UCF
Hofstra
U Toledo
U VM
Pitt
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Wayne State
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
TCU/UNT
Oakland-B
Western MI
Seton Hall
UCD
UCI
Your state school(s).
Nova MD
CUSM
Kaiser
May I ask you, why did you include Rush? It seems that they look for applicants with insane service experience, do you think 200 hours of nonclinical volunteering fit their mission?

Rush. I might be biased because service is going to be my main point of my PS, but for me 200 hours of service is very low. 200 hours is like 1 hour every week throughout undergrad, if service oriented med schools really accept such applicants, then I am totally confused. I don't want to say that OP has low hours for average schools, but for service oriented ones his hours are way too low.
Hmmmmm didn’t know that lol. How many hours would you say is good for these schools? And any other schools on the list so I know which ones to avoid lol

Hmmmmm didn’t know that lol. How many hours would you say is good for these schools? And any other schools on the list so I know which ones to avoid lol
The Jesuit schools (Loyola, Georgetown, Creighton, SLU) and Tulane. Any school that is affiliated with government hospital. Also don't forget mission driven schools, such as HBCUs, Wright State, NEOMED, and some other.
I am not an expert in terms of hours. But I would assume 500+ would be average/solid (I might be wrong, so let's defer this to adcoms). Also, it is not only about hours, but also about type of the service. Volunteering in homeless shelter is not the same as volunteering in nursing home doing arts with seniors. I actually suggest to try homeless shelter anyone who is planning to go to med school. I have already been doing it for some period of time, ad this is extremely rewarding and incredible experience, even for a person who already was homeless himself in this life. In regard to clinical, again, I am not an expert in service oriented medical schools, but I would say that 200 hours of volunteering in free clinic/hospice for underserved will look a lot better than 1000 hours in some nice suburban hospital in terms of quality of service that service oriented schools look for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The Jesuit schools (Loyola, Georgetown, Creighton, SLU) and Tulane. Any school that is affiliated with government hospital. Also don't forget mission driven schools, such as HBCUs, Wright State, NEOMED, and some other.
I am not an expert in terms of hours. But I would assume 500+ would be average/solid (I might be wrong, so let's defer this to adcoms). Also, it is not only about hours, but also about type of the service. Volunteering in homeless shelter is not the same as volunteering in nursing home doing arts with seniors. I actually suggest to try homeless shelter anyone who is planning to go to med school. I have already been doing it for some period of time, ad this is extremely rewarding and incredible experience, even for a person who already was homeless himself in this life. In regard to clinical, again, I am not an expert in service oriented medical schools, but I would say that 200 hours of volunteering in free clinic/hospice for underserved will look a lot better than 1000 hours in some nice suburban hospital in terms of quality of service that service oriented schools look for.
Sounds good, I have like ~500hrs total volunteering ranging from homeless to hospital so I hope that that’s enough for these schools!!!! Didn’t realize that those amount of hours are just “average” for these school lool

Sounds good, I have like ~500hrs total volunteering ranging from homeless to hospital so I hope that that’s enough for these schools!!!! Didn’t realize that those amount of hours are just “average” for these school lool
There are many people out there who really cherish service to underserved, many of them are religious people, these schools perfectly fit their mission and they fit schools' mission. Just realize that the total number of that schools is very low, so don't be confused. Some people who read that Harvard/Stanford class schools are obsessed with research think that without 2000+ of hours your chances of getting into ANY medical school are limited, in fact, only few schools care about research. Same for service oriented ones (I mean all schools care about service as well as research experience, but they don't expect their applicants to have 500+ hours in each category).