waarya

7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2010
Status
Couldn't find a thread on this topic, so I've decided to start my own.

But my question to anyone is...are the standards lower for African Americans that apply to doctor of osteopathy programs? I know that for MD programs, the average gpa and mcat are significantly lower. Just wanted to know if the same would apply to D.O. programs.

mspeedwagon

7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2009
Florida
Status
Medical Student
Yes, they are lower. There is data published on AACOM website as to the stats of those students that matriculated into osteopathic schools and they do break down the stats by race. That said, the stats are actually relatively close (closer than I had expected).

Couldn't find a thread on this topic, so I've decided to start my own.

But my question to anyone is...are the standards lower for African Americans that apply to doctor of osteopathy programs? I know that for MD programs, the average gpa and mcat are significantly lower. Just wanted to know if the same would apply to D.O. programs.

UpwardTrend

Post Baccin it up
Oct 31, 2009
Mizzouri
Status
Pre-Medical
By the title I thought you were talking about Anesthesiologist Assistant :). Definitely as an African American as with other minorities you are considered an under-represented minority(URM) and there is a whole forum for this:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=219