AA in residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemist156

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does affirmative action play as much of a role in obtaining a residency as it did in getting into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe that it does. I've read previous threads on this. The basic conclusion was that there are too few spots at each program to divide them up by quotas.

oh. . . thought this was the Alcoholics Anonymous thread. .

chemist156 said:
Does affirmative action play as much of a role in obtaining a residency as it did in getting into med school?

I think it varies by program, while there may not be a 'quota' there may be a desire to have diversity amongst the housestaff by some programs.

Alcoholics anonymous might be more appropriate for residency. I think John Ashcroft is actually working on pushing afirmative action at U of MI, but as for the rest of the residencies he said, "The heck with 'em." It was a little mid career change of pace.

monkey7247 said:
I don't believe that it does. I've read previous threads on this. The basic conclusion was that there are too few spots at each program to divide them up by quotas.

That's incorrect. The majority of residency programs do make an effort to have at least a somewhat diverse program. So while it's not as official as it is when applying to med school, it's still a factor. It works in all directions too. For example, if you're a male applying to obgyn, you'll have an advantage b/c most applicants are female and the residency programs usually strive to have a class that is diverse.

Yeah, basically it does. ;)

orientedtoself said:
oh. . . thought this was the Alcoholics Anonymous thread. .

Crap, so did I...I may need to check out AA, does anyone know if you go to a meeting, can there be repercussions for just showing up??

LADoc00 said:
Crap, so did I...I may need to check out AA, does anyone know if you go to a meeting, can there be repercussions for just showing up??

You can show up, they just make you wait till the end to introduce yourself. You have to remember how many days you've been sober, and try to stick around for coffee at the end, its always BYOC (bring your own cup) lol

I had to do it!

I think programs are now trying to find residents that fit their patient populations, especially when language is an issue. Spanish is the mainstay for most residency programs, but it is always great to have a qualified candidate that is part of a unique patient population. But I doubt programs will sacrifice quality for nationality or race.