AAA diagnositic imaging

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

placebo_B12

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the sensitivity of a non-contrast enhanced CT of the abdo/pelvis looking for AAA?

I find that many elderly patients with vague abdominal pain/back pain have elevated GFR's and are not candidates to receive IV contrast. I end up ordering Non-contrast CT's for these patients to r/o AAA in addition to other surgical diagnoses. Is this adequate?
 
What is the sensitivity of a non-contrast enhanced CT of the abdo/pelvis looking for AAA?

I find that many elderly patients with vague abdominal pain/back pain have elevated GFR's and are not candidates to receive IV contrast. I end up ordering Non-contrast CT's for these patients to r/o AAA in addition to other surgical diagnoses. Is this adequate?


um why not just do an abd ultrasound if you're just looking to answer an yes/no question about the size of their abdominal aorta? it's cheaper and there's less radiation.
 
As you know, elderly patients who present with vague abdominal pain have a high incidence of surgical pathology.

In certain limited cases an US is okay to answer an isolated question for AAA... but more frequently, the differential for abdominal pain/back pain in patients >50 is much larger, and requires CT imaging anyways... an US just won't cut it.
 
Last edited: