aaahh! pediatrics brain fart!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is driving me crazy. What is the congenital heart defect that presents in infancy with sweating, cyanosis, and dyspnea during feedings....??

I KNOW I knew this at one point but can't remember and can't find it.

Does anyone else feel like stuff is falling out of your brain as fast as you are cramming it in?

Members don't see this ad.

sophiejane said:
This is driving me crazy. What is the congenital heart defect that presents in infancy with sweating, cyanosis, and dyspnea during feedings....??

I KNOW I knew this at one point but can't remember and can't find it.

I'm pretty sure it's TOF (tetralogy of falot)

hope that works...

ucb

sophiejane said:
that's what I thought, too, but couldn't find that presentation in my books...

thanks

the eating is effectively a "tet" spell if i'm not mistaken, except babies aren't able to squat to relieve it...

ucb

Members don't see this ad :)
sophiejane said:
that's what I thought, too, but couldn't find that presentation in my books...

thanks

not sure how to spell it, but try choanal atresia.

Choanal atresia presents with babies who are obligate mouth breathers and turn blue when they cry. They are usually diagnosed in the hospital before discharge, unless it's unilateral and more mild.

But it seems like there are some of the same symptoms...on the question I was referring to (NBME form 2) the only options were heart defects.

Also, I don't think you'd see the ANS signs (sweating) with choanal atresia.

But I can see how both might be in the differential.

sophiejane said:
Choanal atresia presents with babies who are obligate mouth breathers and turn blue when they cry. They are usually diagnosed in the hospital before discharge, unless it's unilateral and more mild.

But it seems like there are some of the same symptoms...on the question I was referring to (NBME form 2) the only options were heart defects.

Sorry didnt see the "cardiac defect" portion of the original post

sophiejane said:

Kind of nonspecific symptoms to make a dx? More than one thing can produce cyanosis and any type of heart failure can lead to feeding intolerance. Then again, I feel that I'm becoming dumber with more studying.

July 27th cannot get here soon enogh.