*** Aacomas 2007 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twitch

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A thread for the folks applying this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
KyleSBU said:
Beng....out of curiosity wht anywhere except UNE???
UNECOM don't like the location up in maine somewhere don't really have family that lives around there, i need to be somewhere near family, so i want to go to OUCOM, PCOM, NYCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, LECOM-PA, or WVSOM

Count me in.

In love with Nova.. :love:

Y_Marker said:

Depending on what I hear in 2.5 weeks, I'll be applying for 2007. I have one more application cycle in me.

Anyone having any issues with a school's transcript having a shortened first name?

So for instance if your name is Johnathan Doe and your transcript says John Doe - does that matter? And the transcript only has the last four digits of the social on it. I'm guessing it'd probably be wise to get the transcript corrected at the school rather than worry about the transcript not getting filed properly at AACOMAS.

about the transcripts, if it is like the AMCAS then you have a place to write all of the possible variations on your name

good luck guys..the app cycle is a very tiresome and stressful time i hope you only have to go through it once :)

I have an acceptance to LECOM-Pa, however I will most likley be applying to PCOM-Pa this cycle. They are actually equidistant from my location.

Anyone have any idea when AACOMAS 2007 is going to be up (other than after May 1)?

Boner said:
Anyone have any idea when AACOMAS 2007 is going to be up (other than after May 1)?

I keep clicking refresh but the page doesn't change. I think I'm developing a twitch on my finger now :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Boner said:

I'm pretty sure its going to be up on May 3, last year it was up on May 3.

I will be applying to NYCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, and PCOM.

bkpa2med said:
I will be applying to NYCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, and PCOM.

I'M applying PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, NYCOM, NOVA, PCOM-GA, LECOM-FL and since I'm trying to stay in GA or go back to NJ.... Morehouse, Mercer, MCG UMDNJ - NJMS and RWJ

Applying Ga-PCOM, LECOM-Bradenton, Nova, KCOM, CCOM, DMU, UNECOM.

Im in, PCOM, NYCOM AND CCOM for me! Alot of people had told me to apply to DO schools last year, but I didnt listen and applied only to MD schools.
The Allos didnt show love, so now Im hoping I can give the DO schools a shot. :(

CCOM here. It now says May 15. UUGGHHH! I guess we are always waiting for something huh?

Marcia

May 15! What a bunch of poo. Oh well, what can you do? Anyone have any clue why it's opening so late this year? Is this going to affect the usual June 1st submission date? The waiting's gonna kill me, and I'm sure a lot of you as well.

Boner said:
May 15! What a bunch of poo. Oh well, what can you do? Anyone have any clue why it's opening so late this year? Is this going to affect the usual June 1st submission date? The waiting's gonna kill me, and I'm sure a lot of you as well.

I agree with you the wait is definitely killing me as well. for which of the following does everyone get a secondary application and which of the following schools only give secondaries to applicants who meet minimum requirements: NYCOM, CCOM, PCOM, OUCOM, WVSOM, UMDNJ-SOM, LECOM-PA.

add me to the list... where'd all the time go ??? It's my last quarter and i don't have my letters ready yet :(

BengaliDocIsl said:
I agree with you the wait is definitely killing me as well. for which of the following does everyone get a secondary application and which of the following schools only give secondaries to applicants who meet minimum requirements: NYCOM, CCOM, PCOM, OUCOM, WVSOM, UMDNJ-SOM, LECOM-PA.

You only do a secondary for NYCOM if you are invited for an interview. Then, you bring your secondary and your $$ with you to your interview. Nice way to save some cash, I think. Wish more schools were like that!

Good luck to everyone! :luck:

if you dont have any mcat scores at all, do you need to wait for april 2006 scores to come in before you click "submit"?

Y_Marker said:
Thanks for the thread. Now the wait until May 15th.

im all about 2008...but good luck to everyone

Does anyone know if the LOR's go to AACOMAS or directly to the individual medical schools?

I believe you send them to the schools with secondaries. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

bkpa2med said:
I believe you send them to the schools with secondaries. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Yep!

cee said:
if you dont have any mcat scores at all, do you need to wait for april 2006 scores to come in before you click "submit"?
No.

the schools who automatically send you secondaries will sit on your application until your scores come out.

I feel like a slacker. I still need to my LOR's...is anybody using Interfolio?

I'm planning to apply to: KCOM, AZCOM, CCOM, DMU, LECOM (maybe), NYCOM, NOVA (maybe), PCSOM (maybe), UNECOM, and WVSOM.

How does the AACOMAS application differ from the AMCAS application? Personal Statement # Characters?, # Activities allowed to elaborate on? Etc?

Thanks.

I plan on applying to VCOM, WVSOM, NOVA, PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, KCOM, CCOM, OSUCOM, and MSUCOM, probably.

bkpa2med said:
I am using Interfolio.

Interfolio is the proverbial bomb

In case someone was wondering...

"Applications are available May 15 and may be completed and submitted between July 1 of that year and February 1 of the year of desired admission."

I found it on UMDNJ's website. So even if AACOMAS opens May 15th we may not be able to hit submit till July 1st. In a way I guess its a good thing since MCAT scores will be out by then for the April examinees.

Y_Marker said:

"Applications are available May 15 and may be completed and submitted between July 1 of that year and February 1 of the year of desired admission."

I found it on UMDNJ's website. So even if AACOMAS opens May 15th we may not be able to hit submit till July 1st. In a way I guess its a good thing since MCAT scores will be out by then for the April examinees.

Hooray!!!!
icon14.gif
I'm so happy its july 1st not june 1st. that way i can also submit my summer classes grades without having my application being considered late.
icon10.gif

Is this from an updated web page?

Y_Marker said:

It's from UMDNJ's admissions website. It is plausible that these dates may not end up being what AACOMAS posts - but its the best available info I could find.

Y_Marker said:
It's from UMDNJ's admissions website. It is plausible that these dates may not end up being what AACOMAS posts - but its the best available info I could find.

You can submit June 1st.

OSUdoc08 said:
You can submit June 1st.

Anyone remember when y'all submitted last year. I'm wondering if this is for last year. FWIW, here is UMDNJ's link:
http://som.umdnj.edu/education/admissions/admiss_apply.html

Applications can be obtained directly from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS). Applications are available May 15 and may be completed and submitted between July 1 of that year and February 1 of the year of desired admission.

Y_Marker said:
Anyone remember when y'all submitted last year. I'm wondering if this is for last year. FWIW, here is UMDNJ's link:
http://som.umdnj.edu/education/admissions/admiss_apply.html

Applications can be obtained directly from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS). Applications are available May 15 and may be completed and submitted between July 1 of that year and February 1 of the year of desired admission.

last year it was june 1st. the UMDNJ web page has to be updated because the May 15 date was posted on the aacom.org website only last wednesday (May 03, 2006) and thus UMDNJ had to post it that day or after.

ppormansdoormd said:
last year it was june 1st. the UMDNJ web page has to be updated because the May 15 date was posted on the aacom.org website only last wednesday (May 03, 2006) and thus UMDNJ had to post it that day or after.

I'd say to try to be ready for June 1st. This reminds me of the emails that people get from medical schools predicting incorrect dates for when MCAT scores come out.

what if you submit at june 1st but before the july 15 date of umdnj? does your app get denied or something?

cee said:
what if you submit at june 1st but before the july 15 date of umdnj? does your app get denied or something?

When you are able to submit to AACOMAS then ALL schools will get your primary. The schools can then decide when they will look at applications and send out secondaries. So submit when AACOMAS opens. Dates for submitting LORs and secondaries will vary by school.

How easy is it to add schools after submitting? Does it take effect right away or is there lag period?

I'm thinking if the date does end up being June 1st and since MCAT scores don't come out till later in June, it might make sense to apply to just a few at first so AACOMAS can verify my app & all. After the MCAT scores are out then pick and choose any other schools.

This has probably been asked somewhere else, but how does the AMCAS sections differ from the AACOMAS?