AACOMAS GPA Calculator (Revised)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDrB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
*** ALL CREDIT FOR THE ORIGINAL DEVELOPMENT OF THIS GPA CALCULATOR GOES TO Lokhtar ***

For those of you who want to calculate your GPAs (Undergraduate, Science and Cumulative) and have taken any graduate/post-bac courses, I've modified Lokhtar's original calculator to do so and attached it.

Keep in mind that if the number of classes you've taken do not matchup with the example (which they likely won't), you'll need to modify the corresponding fields in Row 225.

For example, on the attached calculator, Freshman courses range from Row 6 - Row 15 which is automatically calculated in Column R225 & S225.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• AACOMAS-Calculator.xls
    158 KB · Views: 7,002
Reactions: 5 users
Cool, thanks. This could be helpful to a lot of ppl i think.

Im sorry im totally new to this site..so I am trying to learn how to use it..however can one of u guys please try to answer my question? thankss

If I transfer from one 4 year college to another (UCR to UCLA) do I send both transctrips to Med school?
I ask this because on my transcript for UCLA it has already converted all my classes from UC Riverside. Because if they ask for both will they look at both or just UCLA's because all my grades are already on that one?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Im sorry im totally new to this site..so I am trying to learn how to use it..however can one of u guys please try to answer my question? thankss

If I transfer from one 4 year college to another (UCR to UCLA) do I send both transctrips to Med school?
I ask this because on my transcript for UCLA it has already converted all my classes from UC Riverside. Because if they ask for both will they look at both or just UCLA's because all my grades are already on that one?

Yes, you'll need to have transcripts sent to AACOMAS from every school you've attended. Directions should be on the AACOMAS application.

Yes, you'll need to have transcripts sent to AACOMAS from every school you've attended. Directions should be on the AACOMAS application.

Thanks appreciate it, just one more question some of the grades that transferred over kind of changed...i.e. my bio lab grade (C+....1 unit at UCR) switched to an extra B at UCLA (the grade which I got in the lecture at UCR, because UCLA does not use LAB as another grade)...so when calculating gpa they will take my overall gpa from UCLA of UCR..because someone told me Med schools will not bother trying to use both trancripts but rather just the school I graduate from, as it will overall be the more accurate depiction of my academic profile.

Once again thanks alot.

Thanks appreciate it, just one more question some of the grades that transferred over kind of changed...i.e. my bio lab grade (C+....1 unit at UCR) switched to an extra B at UCLA (the grade which I got in the lecture at UCR, because UCLA does not use LAB as another grade)...so when calculating gpa they will take my overall gpa from UCLA of UCR..because someone told me Med schools will not bother trying to use both trancripts but rather just the school I graduate from, as it will overall be the more accurate depiction of my academic profile.

Once again thanks alot.

That will be straightened out when AACOMAS verifies everything. I've never heard of a school changing grades, but I would just enter the higher grade and if there is a problem, it won't cause a delay, they'll just notify you during the verification process. Since it's only a 1-credit course, the C/B grades aren't going to have a huge impact on your GPA if they end up giving you credit for the C+ instead of the B.

That will be straightened out when AACOMAS verifies everything. I've never heard of a school changing grades, but I would just enter the higher grade and if there is a problem, it won't cause a delay, they'll just notify you during the verification process. Since it's only a 1-credit course, the C/B grades aren't going to have a huge impact on your GPA if they end up giving you credit for the C+ instead of the B.

Thanks for the help!

i am having some trouble. i have entered all the required information-credits,grades,enrollment,type,science?--but for some reason i am getting "DIV/0!" for junior, senior gpa, and the same"DIV/0!" for overall gpa, science gpa.
can some one help me out please>?

i am having some trouble. i have entered all the required information-credits,grades,enrollment,type,science?--but for some reason i am getting "DIV/0!" for junior, senior gpa, and the same"DIV/0!" for overall gpa, science gpa.
can some one help me out please>?

If you want, you can send me your version and I will take a look.

can you PM me your email to me so i can send it to you. thanks

what about if I took some classes at a school on the semester system and some at my new school which is on the quarter system? especially when it comes to grade replacement.

Hey! I have a Question!!
What if we re-took a class? Do we have to calculate both grades into our gpa or do we just take the higher grade? THANKS!

Hey! I have a Question!!
What if we re-took a class? Do we have to calculate both grades into our gpa or do we just take the higher grade? THANKS!

with aacomas, just the retake...

look up the instructions how to enter them when you actually apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was trying to calculate my AACOMAS GPA just to get an estimate and I don't understand the A+ thing. My school goes by A,A-,B+,B,B- and so on. Can anyone clear that up?

According to AACOMAS application instructions, enter grades as they appear on your transcript. They take +/-. As for A's, it's just A and A-.

I was trying to calculate my AACOMAS GPA just to get an estimate and I don't understand the A+ thing. My school goes by A,A-,B+,B,B- and so on. Can anyone clear that up?

A+ = A = 4.0. Its like that at my school. AACOMAS rates A- as 3.7 and B+ as 3.3. If your school is different, you can fill in the numerical grade (like if A- = 3.75 for you, you put in 3.75 as the AACOMAS grade, but it must say that on your transcript).

Last edited:
So let me get this straight...for example, if I made a C in orgo 1 and then retook it and made an A, AACOMAS will calculate my GPA with that A and disregard the C?

I am pre-dent, not pre-med, but I have had a few bad semesters in college and retook a decent number of classes to show improvement but I always thought they would count both grades (before retake and after retake) into calculating my GPA. I might be wrong but I think AADSAS (dentistry) does that. My AACOMAS gpa must be a lot higher than my AADSAS gpa, which is a bummer.

So let me get this straight...for example, if I made a C in orgo 1 and then retook it and made an A, AACOMAS will calculate my GPA with that A and disregard the C?

I am pre-dent, not pre-med, but I have had a few bad semesters in college and retook a decent number of classes to show improvement but I always thought they would count both grades (before retake and after retake) into calculating my GPA. I might be wrong but I think AADSAS (dentistry) does that. My AACOMAS gpa must be a lot higher than my AADSAS gpa, which is a bummer.

AACOMAS does do grade replacement, whereas AMCAS does not.

Why is it a bummer though? If you want to be a dentist, you will apply to a dental school, if you want to be a physician/DO you can apply through AACOMAS. Once you get into a school those numbers will be meaningless anyways.

ok so how do you use this? and why would your AACOMAS GPA be different from your transcript GPA? (assuming you don't have any grade replacement?)

Why not just use the coursework section of aacomas to see GPA?

ok so how do you use this? and why would your AACOMAS GPA be different from your transcript GPA? (assuming you don't have any grade replacement?)

A lot of schools calculate GPAs differently. Saying that your transcript GPA will be exactly the same as your AACOMAS GPA isn't always true. For example a school may actually consider a WF as a W as opposed to an F, etc.

Is graduate school course grade the same as post-bac for the GPA calculation purposes?

Thanks.

Can't believe I am bumping this thread but I have a question

There is a science gpa, undergraduate gap, and cumulative gpa on the spreadsheet.

How is the undergraduate gpa different from the cumulative gpa?

It says my cumulative is 2.8, science 2.9, undergraduate 3.0

Additionally, if I want to add a graduate certificate or masters program, how will that affect my cumulative gpa?

Does post-bac affect undergraduate gpa?

So confused

There is a science gpa, undergraduate gap, and cumulative gpa on the spreadsheet.

Additionally, if I want to add a graduate certificate or masters program, how will that affect my cumulative gpa?

So confused

I honestly don't remember which version I originally posted years ago, but I think it's still the one I'm using today. If you want to PM your email, I'll send you the "version" I'm currently using.

No, classes marked "post-bacc" won't change the undergraduate GPA, but they will change the Cumulative GPA

so for quarter system, do i put 4 for credits? most main classes at UCSD are 4 units
except for physics which is 3 units for lecture and 2 units for lab
how do i factor this into the spreadsheet?
also, thanks for uploading this!!

anyone know if there's an AMCAS version? or is it basically the same but you can't replace grades? (i think for AMCAS, you average the 2 grades if you retook the class?)

I have a question regarding this. The AACOMAS you created has a running column of A+'s below, if I delete it I am not able to view my cumulative gpa BUT I don't want those A's to get in the way of calculating my cumulative GPA. Is there a way to fix this?

I have a question regarding this. The AACOMAS you created has a running column of A+'s below, if I delete it I am not able to view my cumulative gpa BUT I don't want those A's to get in the way of calculating my cumulative GPA. Is there a way to fix this?

Just leave them there. They aren't calculated in unless you add credits in the boxes before the grade. Does that make sense?

Just leave them there. They aren't calculated in unless you add credits in the boxes before the grade. Does that make sense?
Ah, okay - that makes a lot more sense. I cleared the default credits that were placed within that column and now my cumulative GPA and undergrad GPA are more similar. Thanks!

If my school used the A/AB/B/BC..etc scale, then how do I enter it into this spreadsheet?

*** ALL CREDIT FOR THE ORIGINAL DEVELOPMENT OF THIS GPA CALCULATOR GOES TO Lokhtar ***

For those of you who want to calculate your GPAs (Undergraduate, Science and Cumulative) and have taken any graduate/post-bac courses, I've modified Lokhtar's original calculator to do so and attached it.

Keep in mind that if the number of classes you've taken do not matchup with the example (which they likely won't), you'll need to modify the corresponding fields in Row 225.

For example, on the attached calculator, Freshman courses range from Row 6 - Row 15 which is automatically calculated in Column R225 & S225.

If my school used the A/AB/B/BC..etc scale, then how do I enter it into this spreadsheet?

Sorry, I have no idea. So you can earn a A/B in a class?

Post your question in the pre-DO forum where everyone can see it and maybe someone can help.

Hey @FutureDrB , thanks for posting up this revised calculator! Sorry for posting on this threat again, but...

I have a quick question about my own grade input. When you refer to post-bacc, do you mean just grad programs? Or informal post-baccs as well, where people usually retake grades for grade replacement?

I retook a bunch of pre-req classes after undergrad through my school's Extension program. On my own AACOMAS app, I listed these classes as "post-bacc" since they were indeed after I received my B.S. However, I made sure to mark them as retakes and to give 0.00 credits to any previous attempts.

When I used this calculator, I listed classes that I retook as part of my undergrad GPA and not post-bacc... am I correct in doing so? For example, I retook a chemistry course that I took during my freshman year with my school's Extension program. Since the calc said to just list all latest attempts, I put the new, retaken grade I listed for that class under "freshman" instead of "post-bacc."

Also, do you know whether AACOMAS factors in grade replacement when calculating the individual year GPAs (freshman, sophomore, etc.)? If I retook a course I took as a freshman after finishing up undergrad, does it count towards my freshman GPA?

Thanks for the help! Let me know if I can clear any of this up and let me know if you want me to send you my copy of what I inputted into the calc.

So confused

YES please to the above undergrad vs cumulative gpa question. Is undergrad like all the other non science courses, and cumulative is like normal - everything?

YES please to the above undergrad vs cumulative gpa question. Is undergrad like all the other non science courses, and cumulative is like normal - everything?

I would imagine cumulative GPA included everything, including undergrad. So for example, if you took classes after you graduated from college, such as post-baccalaureate courses or any extra courses, the cumulative would take into account all of that as well as your undergrad. So cumulative would be a combination of undergrad + anything you've done after undergrad. Your undergrad GPA is just your four-year university GPA, from what I know. Not sure if this is 100% accurate so it would be great if someone could confirm or clarify!

How do you input for classes that are just Pass/Fail?

How is this different than the original calculator? I already have all my stuff in using the old one.

Hey @FutureDrB , thanks for posting up this revised calculator! Sorry for posting on this threat again, but...

I have a quick question about my own grade input. When you refer to post-bacc, do you mean just grad programs? Or informal post-baccs as well, where people usually retake grades for grade replacement?

I retook a bunch of pre-req classes after undergrad through my school's Extension program. On my own AACOMAS app, I listed these classes as "post-bacc" since they were indeed after I received my B.S. However, I made sure to mark them as retakes and to give 0.00 credits to any previous attempts.

When I used this calculator, I listed classes that I retook as part of my undergrad GPA and not post-bacc... am I correct in doing so? For example, I retook a chemistry course that I took during my freshman year with my school's Extension program. Since the calc said to just list all latest attempts, I put the new, retaken grade I listed for that class under "freshman" instead of "post-bacc."

Also, do you know whether AACOMAS factors in grade replacement when calculating the individual year GPAs (freshman, sophomore, etc.)? If I retook a course I took as a freshman after finishing up undergrad, does it count towards my freshman GPA?

Sorry for the delayed response...I haven't been on in a while.

Your post-bacc GPA includes ALL classes taken after you have received your undergraduate degree. (Unless you are retaking courses that you completed in your undergraduate program.)

If you are retaking undergraduate courses after you have graduated, those will be counted as undergraduate.

Only the newest grade counts...so I would assume that would apply to your individual years as well (freshman, sophomore, etc.) So, yes to the last question.

Disclaimer. Please check with AACOMAS, because I could always be wrong. But I doubt it. :)

Do any of you know how the units translate from a quarter to semester system? I'm trying to retake my last quarter of Gen Chem and the last quarter of Ochem, but the city college is on a semester system so therefore only have 2 classes in a series (vs 3 classes in a series at my ugrad university).
Gen Chem lecture at university was 3 quarter units (and seperate lab for 2 units)

Gen Chem lecture at CC is 5 semester units (lecture plus lab)

And the last quarter of Ochem at my university was 4 quarter units, and the 2nd class in the CC Ochem series is only 3 units.

Anyone know if these are acceptable retakes, unit wise?

Do any of you know how the units translate from a quarter to semester system? I'm trying to retake my last quarter of Gen Chem and the last quarter of Ochem, but the city college is on a semester system so therefore only have 2 classes in a series (vs 3 classes in a series at my ugrad university).
Gen Chem lecture at university was 3 quarter units (and seperate lab for 2 units)

Gen Chem lecture at CC is 5 semester units (lecture plus lab)

And the last quarter of Ochem at my university was 4 quarter units, and the 2nd class in the CC Ochem series is only 3 units.

Anyone know if these are acceptable retakes, unit wise?

1 quarter hour = 0.667 semester hour, per AACOMAS

can someone who has used this table for AACOMAS and had their transcript verify comment on the accuracy of this table? I am trying to plan my next 2 semesters for re-takes just wanted to get an idea of my course load.
thank you

can someone who has used this table for AACOMAS and had their transcript verify comment on the accuracy of this table? I am trying to plan my next 2 semesters for re-takes just wanted to get an idea of my course load.
thank you

I've used it extensively to calculate retakes. I'm submitting later this summer but I'll try to remember to come back and update! Feel free to PM me

thank you

Using this spread sheet , it gave me a cgpa of 3.3 and sgpa of 3.54
But after AACOMAS calculated it, my cgpa was 3.4+ and sgpa of 3.7+

so you can probably add a 0.1 to whatever this sheet tells you, but great for getting a ballpark of what your GPA's might be!