AACOMAS Grade Replacement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a student who has busted his hump to get his GPA to a respectable 3.5 cumulative. Repeating several classes and spending much time and money. With this new system my GPA is now a 3.2 which may not seem like the biggest difference but I can see how schools would see it as one. My question now with 3 out 5 years now with over a 3.6 GPA. What exactly are my options at this point. I know the pool of applicants will not change and people will have this similar problem but am I now a DOA I never quit on my dream and I don't plan on it now but what exactly are my options.

Members don't see this ad.

As a student who has busted his hump to get his GPA to a respectable 3.5 cumulative. Repeating several classes and spending much time and money. With this new system my GPA is now a 3.2 which may not seem like the biggest difference but I can see how schools would see it as one. My question now with 3 out 5 years now with over a 3.6 GPA. What exactly are my options at this point. I know the pool of applicants will not change and people will have this similar problem but am I now a DOA I never quit on my dream and I don't plan on it now but what exactly are my options.
Is English not your first language? Without proper grammar and punctuation, I'm not exactly sure what the bold part means in particular. Can you clarify please?

Reactions: 1 users
Your next step is to kick butt on the MCAT then get accepted to an Osteopathic medical school. A 3.2 GPA is fine as long as you don't apply the schools with 3.25 GPA secondary cutoffs like KCU and make sure you apply broadly to all the new schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Is English not your first language? Without proper grammar and punctuation, I'm not exactly sure what the bold part means in particular. Can you clarify please?

Ouch... yes it is, I'm sorry I'm a little frazzled I just found out the news this last hour about this change. What I meant was I started out slowly but in my last three years of school I've performed admirably, and I've received a 3.6 GPA or higher. Would this be any help maybe showing the committee that I'm not the same clueless kid I was at age 18

Your next step is to kick butt on the MCAT then get accepted to an Osteopathic medical school. 3.2 GPA is fine as long as you don't apply the schools with 3.25 secondary cutoffs like KCU

Ok because my heart is really set on going to MSUs school because I'm from Michigan and I'm planning on spending as little money as possible haha. I just am now scared that my GPA is now lower than the average acceptance as opposed to being right at it

Ok because my heart is really set on going to MSUs school because I'm from Michigan and I'm planning on spending as little money as possible haha. I just am now scared that my GPA is now lower than the average acceptance as opposed to being right at it

I think it would do you well to apply broadly and go wherever you get accepted. If you get multiple acceptances, then you can be picky, but until then, try to get an acceptance first

Reactions: 1 user
I think it would do you well to apply broadly and go wherever you get accepted. If you get multiple acceptances, then you can be picky, but until then, try to get an acceptance first

Thank you, I'm going to try my best on the MCAT as well. I know I should t ever try to shoot for a score but with my GPA at what it is now what do you believe I will need to be atleast competitive. Last question haha

Ouch... yes it is, I'm sorry I'm a little frazzled I just found out the news this last hour about this change. What I meant was I started out slowly but in my last three years of school I've performed admirably, and I've received a 3.6 GPA or higher. Would this be any help maybe showing the committee that I'm not the same clueless kid I was at age 18
You should definitely shoot for a minimum score, it's how you'll gauge if you're ready for the real thing or not with practice exams.

read this:
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...-in-the-absence-of-grade-replacement.1236525/

I was accepted to multiple schools this last cycle with a 3.01 GPA (with grade replacement). Crush the MCAT and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know that Touro Nevada is doing their own calculations if you do their MHS program. I heard that if the you do the 1 year MHS program then apply to the DO program, your undergrad grades are looked at as the best score instead of using the new AACOMAS policy. So if you repeated a class or classes multiple times, they take the best grade given. A good way to still get in to medical school if you are worried about repeated coursework

PCOM and AZCOM are still honoring the replacement system in theory.

The end of grade replacement effected a lot of people to varying degrees. I feel you.

At this point, the best thing you can do is perform well on the MCAT and not worry too much about the hit to your GPA. If you feel you have time, look for other avenues to round our your app. Get DO shadowing and LORs. Try to find a MSU grad who will let you shadow them and later would possibly write a letter for you. I've heard having a grad's LOR from MSU, PCOM, CCOM, can really help your application.

At least you're a michigan resident! MSU definitely has a positive in state bias. You're definitely still competitive.

Good luck!

I actually do have someone from the school im shadowing and he is also writing me a letter as well. thanks for all the help everyone!

PCOM and AZCOM are still honoring the replacement system in theory.

The end of grade replacement effected a lot of people to varying degrees. I feel you.

At this point, the best thing you can do is perform well on the MCAT and not worry too much about the hit to your GPA. If you feel you have time, look for other avenues to round our your app. Get DO shadowing and LORs. Try to find a MSU grad who will let you shadow them and later would possibly write a letter for you. I've heard having a grad's LOR from MSU, PCOM, CCOM, can really help your application.

At least you're a michigan resident! MSU definitely has a positive in state bias. You're definitely still competitive.

Good luck!