AACOMAS WRONG course designation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc145

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year, before I signed up to take a physiological psychology course that was within my school's psych dept, I called AACOMAS to make sure that it would count towards my science GPA. Because the course description said it was a "survey of neuroscience and neuroanatomy" course-- they said it would.

Fast forward to now--
Now they said it wont. They say they'll refuse to read course descriptions and it wont count in my science GPA-- I wouldnt have taken the course had I known that. It'll drop my science gpa by about .07 because I'm not a science major and dont have a whole lot of science courses beyond the pre-reqs. Im not too happy to say the least--again, especially because they gave me their word that it would count towards my science GPA

Any ideas on how I should move forward and what more I can do?

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing really you can do. It is their policy not to read course descriptions.

You can contact all the schools you're applying to and let them know, but I don't know if they'll care. They have too many applicants to "fix" everyone's GPA.

What are your stats?

You can contact all the schools you're applying to and let them know, but I don't know if they'll care. They have too many applicants to "fix" everyone's GPA.

What are your stats?
yeah, NOW that's there policy-- it wasn't last year.
I'm just hoping they'll keep their word and designate it as science.

And I agree, contacting schools is near useless. With 7,000+ applicants, schools won't have the time nor need to care.

Stats are sub par to begin with. 3.7 cGPA, 3.26 sGPA, and MCAT should be 498-500.

Members don't see this ad :)

What are your stats?
thanks for the input though!

It's new AACOMAS this year. New AACOMAS = New rules.

yeah, NOW that's there policy-- it wasn't last year.
I'm just hoping they'll keep their word and designate it as science.

And I agree, contacting schools is near useless. With 7,000+ applicants, schools won't have the time nor need to care.

Stats are sub par to begin with. 3.7 cGPA, 3.26 sGPA, and MCAT should be 498-500.

Your stats are actually not bad for GPA. However, the MCAT may just be a little concerning. I know CUSOM autoscreens if you get less than 500 on the new MCAT.

Why would it not count if its a neuroscience class?

The course name was physiological psychology. Thus, they would most likely designate it as a psychology course. They don't look at course descriptions when they do classifications. They do it by course name.

Got ya it makes sense. I took pretty much the same class but it was under the bio department. This class went under my sgpa. So basically even though class content is the same they go by department prefix? Sorry to belabor the point but this new aacomas rules are making my head spin lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm having the same issue- i took behavioral neurosciene, because it is a combined course offered by the Biology and Psychology dept, I emailed aacomas whether they would accept it as Neuroscience not as Psychology but am still waiting to hear back, they said they would let me know. I'm not a science major either and I don't have too many sciences to go with right now so idk what to do...
The course is labelled Psych 3600 Behavioral Neuroscience but is clearly neurosci not psych, I'm a psych major, i can tell the difference between a Bio based course and a Psych course.

Hopefully they'll be helpful?

the thing is that with this new app system, there came a new list of course classifications, completely different from what the list before. They've expanded many subjects into their Other Science category. However, in your case OP, they put a lot of psych courses into the behavioral science category (not part of science gpa). That list includes to your misfortune, physiological psychology. It seems they really don't want psych classes to be counted in science gpa. biologyical psych and cognitive psych have all been placed under Behavioral science. It is possible that the rep who told you it would pass, made the judgement based off on the old classifiction list and not this new one. For the other posters, if your psych classes has the word neuroscience then you can try and classify it as a science. According to the new list, neuroscience goes under Biology thus sci gpa approved.

I dare say if anyone wishes to pass of classes like physiological psych or biopsych as science, they may have better luck through AMCAS, as their list has remained the same...vague.

the thing is that with this new app system, there came a new list of course classifications, completely different from what the list before. They've expanded many subjects into their Other Science category. However, in your case OP, they put a lot of psych courses into the behavioral science category (not part of science gpa). That list includes to your misfortune, physiological psychology. It seems they really don't want psych classes to be counted in science gpa. biologyical psych and cognitive psych have all been placed under Behavioral science. It is possible that the rep who told you it would pass, made the judgement based off on the old classifiction list and not this new one. For the other posters, if your psych classes has the word neuroscience then you can try and classify it as a science. According to the new list, neuroscience goes under Biology thus sci gpa approved.

I dare say if anyone wishes to pass of classes like physiological psych or biopsych as science, they may have better luck through AMCAS, as their list has remained the same...vague.

Hey, it definitely has the word neuroscience in it. I have put it in as neuroscience despite the code being psych 3600, hopefully they'll just let it slide

Hey, it definitely has the word neuroscience in it. I have put it in as neuroscience despite the code being psych 3600, hopefully they'll just let it slide

Ehh...that's iffy. If it was offered from the psych department AACOMAS may make it not part of sGPA. In the end, it doesn't matter. No matter what you do, AACOMAS pretty much decides what the courses are classified as. No use in asking if you're applying this cycle anyways.

Ehh...that's iffy. If it was offered from the psych department AACOMAS may make it not part of sGPA. In the end, it doesn't matter. No matter what you do, AACOMAS pretty much decides what the courses are classified as. No use in asking if you're applying this cycle anyways.

well, guess i'll just have to wait and see what they do :(

Isn't there an appeal option for disputes like these, or has that changed too?

Isn't there an appeal option for disputes like these, or has that changed too?
Haha yea last year I just emailed a guy and said "this is wrong," he said "my bad," and changed it.

Reactions: 1 user