AADSAS GPA Calculations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skident

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In this thread I posted some of my stats to get some input from everyone. However, I know that AADSAS calculates GPA's based not on the undergraduate institution calculation, but instead based on their own policy of including even courses retaken. The numbers I posted were based on what it says on my undergraduate transcript, which does not factor in repeated courses. Since I retook 3 courses, I guess my GPA is actually going to be significantly lower than in my original post in that thread. That unfortunately includes my science GPA since 2 of the repeats were Gen Bio I and II.

So, yep I'm getting nervous about how my numbers will look from AADSAS. Am I looking at this correctly? Do dental schools focus more on what it says on your official transcript or on the AADSAS calculations?

Members don't see this ad.

In this thread I posted some of my stats to get some input from everyone. However, I know that AADSAS calculates GPA's based not on the undergraduate institution calculation, but instead based on their own policy of including even courses retaken. The numbers I posted were based on what it says on my undergraduate transcript, which does not factor in repeated courses. Since I retook 3 courses, I guess my GPA is actually going to be significantly lower than in my original post in that thread. That unfortunately includes my science GPA since 2 of the repeats were Gen Bio I and II.

So, yep I'm getting nervous about how my numbers will look from AADSAS. Am I looking at this correctly? Do dental schools focus more on what it says on your official transcript or on the AADSAS calculations?

It doesn't really matter. Bear in mind that either you were all going to rank by your "official" GPA, or you'll all rank by AADSAS GPA, but either way - the change is systematic, and everyone should be hit more or less equally. People that didn't retake classes will have the advantage, but many people do retake, so you shouldn't be significantly worried about it.

I think you should look at this positively. You have the advantage of knowing that this is how AADSAS works and thus you are not surprised. You knew that retaking courses and having that old grade "forgiven" had to be too good to be true. Now you have an opportunity to (in your PS or interviews), talk about this and explain why you did poorly. You are not alone. Many applicants did poorly in classes and they are also in your position.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've entered all my grades on the coursework but there my GPA isn't calculated. Is there something that I'm suppose to do, or do I wait until my transcripts have been confirmed before aadsas will compute a GPA?

I've entered all my grades on the coursework but there my GPA isn't calculated. Is there something that I'm suppose to do, or do I wait until my transcripts have been confirmed before aadsas will compute a GPA?

Same with me. I think we have to wait till our gpa is verified.