Aadsas Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurl21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad school counts grades with a + as 0.5 additional points on your gpa. For example, a B is a 3.0 and a B+ would be a 3.5. Apparently AADSAS would count a B+ as a 3.33....? How much lower would this make your gpa look from the number that your undergrad school calculated? Does it make a significant difference? I'm freaking out that my not so high gpa will be EVEN LOWER because of this difference in assigning points :eek: somebody please explain this to me, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Gurl21 said:
My undergrad school counts grades with a + as 0.5 additional points on your gpa. For example, a B is a 3.0 and a B+ would be a 3.5. Apparently AADSAS would count a B+ as a 3.33....? How much lower would this make your gpa look from the number that your undergrad school calculated? Does it make a significant difference? I'm freaking out that my not so high gpa will be EVEN LOWER because of this difference in assigning points :eek: somebody please explain this to me, thanks!

From my experience, the way AADSAS calculates your GPA is pretty standard except for the fact that A+'s are worth 4.33. You'll have to calculate it all out to see how much of a difference it really makes. Keep in consideration though that the A- you have is calculated as a 3.66 rather than a 3.5 by AADSAS.

my school doesnt give A+s, they only give +'s for the other letter grades. Also, my school doesnt give - grades, so I'm not sure how the Aadsas method would help me at all, seems like it would only bring me down..? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Gurl21 said:
my school doesnt give A+s, they only give +'s for the other letter grades. Also, my school doesnt give - grades, so I'm not sure how the Aadsas method would help me at all, seems like it would only bring me down..? :confused:

On the official AADSAS slip the show your calculated GPA with and without +/-.

DrTacoElf said:
On the official AADSAS slip the show your calculated GPA with and without +/-.
Which do dental schools focus on, the with or without ?

um, yea, as far as AADSAS goes.. they're here to screw you over..

I went from a 3.22 to a below 3.0.
:mad:

okay..i just got my aadsas gpas...and i was under the impression they calculated a science gpa? how come i don't have this gpa? i only have cumulative, bcp, other sciences, and non-sciences

p.s. the other sciences gpa does NOT include the classes that well into the bcp category...so clearly that isn't the science gpa...

r0entgen said:
okay..i just got my aadsas gpas...and i was under the impression they calculated a science gpa? how come i don't have this gpa? i only have cumulative, bcp, other sciences, and non-sciences

p.s. the other sciences gpa does NOT include the classes that well into the bcp category...so clearly that isn't the science gpa...

How much time its taking AADSAS to compute your GPA after they receive your transcripts ?

-Thanks

sailinx said:
How much time its taking AADSAS to compute your GPA after they receive your transcripts ?

-Thanks

took about 5 days?

r0entgen said:

Yeah, I was wondering why they don't calculate an overall science GPA anymore, too. I know that you can just calculate your overall science by combining the "BCP" and "Other Sciences" on you own, but it'd be nice to have that as a category on the AADSAS application. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Will dental schools go out of their way to calculate the "Science" GPA on their own?

Haha, whatever. AADSAS is stupid :)

-Jae-

Gurl21 said:

My undergrad school also used 0.5 for plus grades...I was extremely annoyed over the 0.33 thing for a while. But, when I finally calculated it out it didn't make very much of a difference and I wish I would have done it sooner. I have about the same GPA as you, btw. I hope I end up with the same DAT scores too. :laugh:

For everyone with low GPA's: try to make sure your not eating the first time you see your AADSAS GPA's. I got a little nauseous. I'm an EMT too, so not very much makes me feel sick. ;)

When the schools look at the science gpa, do they mean the Biology,Chemistry,Physics courses from the aadsas? Does this mean that physiology and math dont count? And does this mean that if i had taken very few courses in biology or in physics, that i should take more of those?

Also when calculating gpa, if a student got a D in a course, and then took a supplemental exam and got a B+, how is it calculated? on my transcript, both of those grades are recorded, and when calculating avg, they are averaged, but instead of giving 4 credits, 8 credits are given, i.e. like you got 2 C+'s..

bor0000 said:
When the schools look at the science gpa, do they mean the Biology,Chemistry,Physics courses from the aadsas? Does this mean that physiology and math dont count? And does this mean that if i had taken very few courses in biology or in physics, that i should take more of those?

Also when calculating gpa, if a student got a D in a course, and then took a supplemental exam and got a B+, how is it calculated? on my transcript, both of those grades are recorded, and when calculating avg, they are averaged, but instead of giving 4 credits, 8 credits are given, i.e. like you got 2 C+'s..

This is weird..so Math and Computer Science don't count in the science GPA anymore?? Can't understand why they stopped doing an overall science gpa..

I just saw "BCP" in this thread, so i wonder if it means only bio,chem,physics? But i never even looked at the aadsas site myself.

pbure said:
This is weird..so Math and Computer Science don't count in the science GPA anymore?? Can't understand why they stopped doing an overall science gpa..

Math and comp. sci., engineering, etc. are all considered "other sciences" now. I'm sure if they actually calculated an overall sci. they would still include them. It's nice for us engineers to have the 'other science' category, because now the adcoms can see the damage done by our engineering classes. :thumbup:

mochafreak said:
Math and comp. sci., engineering, etc. are all considered "other sciences" now. I'm sure if they actually calculated an overall sci. they would still include them. It's nice for us engineers to have the 'other science' category, because now the adcoms can see the damage done by our engineering classes. :thumbup:

Really? Because there is an option to select 'computer science' and 'math' for aadsas when you're classifying your course. I have 2 A+'s in computer courses..so I definitely need them to count. Do I put them under computer science or 'other-sciences'? I'm not sure..

pbure said:
Really? Because there is an option to select 'computer science' and 'math' for aadsas when you're classifying your course. I have 2 A+'s in computer courses..so I definitely need them to count. Do I put them under computer science or 'other-sciences'? I'm not sure..

I e-submitted the app a while ago and now I can't look at their categories anymore...but, I think you designate a math course as 'math' when you enter it (but, then they don't calculate a math gpa...so it must eventually get put under 'other science'). I also remember that there is a specific category for computer science, but in the end they must also put that into the 'other science' gpa, since there is no specific 'computer science gpa". I hope I didn't confuse you.

mochafreak said:
I e-submitted the app a while ago and now I can't look at their categories anymore...but, I think you designate a math course as 'math' when you enter it (but, then they don't calculate a math gpa...so it must eventually get put under 'other science'). I also remember that there is a specific category for computer science, but in the end they must also put that into the 'other science' gpa, since there is no specific 'computer science gpa". I hope I didn't confuse you.

hopefully..i need my computer grades to be factored into the science gpa part. they raise it by a huge margin. yuuuuuge!