AADSAS limit of 4 LOR issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theteethz

Reaction score
I'm looking to apply to a few schools but since each school has different requirements for who the letter of recommendation is from, after going through the list I believe I will need 5 LOR. To better explain, one school needs an LOR from a professor, a dentist, and a volunteer lead while another school requires 3 professors which means I'll need 5 LOR.

I know the limit on AADSAS is 4 so I was wondering how other applicants have dealt with this if you've ran into the same problem? Is there another way of submitting more LOR or do I just need to choose the school I would like to go to more to decide which letters to put on the app?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What schools require LOR from 3 professors? I applied to 14ish schools and had 2 LOR for science professors, 1 dentist, and 1 volunteering coordinator. I didn't have an issue with any of the programs I applied to. The only school ik you would need another LOR is Loma Linda - spiritual leader.

If a school requires an additional LOR from another faculty member, I would ask if you can send it directly to the dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
Most schools will accept additional LORs from the individual's work email signed on official letterhead and sent directly to admissions. I would recommend having the Dentist do it since most schools are more likely to recommend the Professors and Volunteer lead than the dentist's LOR.

Just email the school in question and ask them to send the email address that they would like the additional letter to be sent to. Make sure your LOR has your AADSAS ID and Name so the school doesn't misplace the letter and so they can attach it properly to your file.
Unfortunately you cannot Pick and choose which schools get which LORs. Every school gets the same LORs that you submit.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) Make your school list.
2) On your spreadsheet, identify the common LOR requirements and "assign" these letters to AADSAS.
3) As @Ryxndek mentioned, email the schools with the outliers for their receptiveness in receiving their specific additional letter requirements separately, as well as a deadline when these letters should be received to facilitate your file review. You do not want your file to be put on hold for a stray letter.
4) Manage your letters like your (professional) life depended on it.

2024 AADSAS opens next month, so I hope you get your answers soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What schools require LOR from 3 professors? I applied to 14ish schools and had 2 LOR for science professors, 1 dentist, and 1 volunteering coordinator. I didn't have an issue with any of the programs I applied to. The only school ik you would need another LOR is Loma Linda - spiritual leader.

If a school requires an additional LOR from another faculty member, I would ask if you can send it directly to the dental school.

I think the only school that wanted three science professors was Columbia unless I'm completely reading it wrong.

They said "Three confidential letters of recommendation from science professors or one composite letter from a pre-health committee must be submitted directly to AADSAS. Additional letters of recommendation from employers or non-science professors will be accepted, but will not satisfy the requirement."

Thank you everyone for the replies! I will definitely reach out to the schools and discuss with them on how to go about the additional letter requirements.