AADSAS Policy Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinpredent

UCLA School of Dentistry
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i was reading the "Preparing for the 2008 AADSAS Application Cycle" section of the AADSAS website today, and it turns out theres a new policy for the 2008 cycle: we can't submit more than 4 letters to AADSAS.

That sucks.

So naturally i'm trying to find someway to minimize the number of letters I send out.

So here's the delio:

-I have 3 letters so far, one from a dentist, another from a biochem professor, and another from a humanities professor

-I'm planning on getting another one from my research advisor

So I guess the million dollar question is...would the letter from my research advisor count as a science letter?

I sure hope so.

Members don't see this ad.

i suppose if you have more than 4 great letters, you could send them to the schools directly..thus bypassing the AADSAS. I had 5 letters total...2 from dentists & 3 from profs.

jb!:)

Guess I will have to send some to the schools on my own, I already have 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
It also says that a letter from a pre-dental/health committee counts as three letters, meaning if you do go through a committee process at your college you can only send in one other letter. I really don't like this change at all and find it slightly ridiculous that they are limiting us to four 'net' letters.

Just be smart about it and I bet you'll be fine. For example, if all your programs require a biology letter, then use AADSAS to send in your bio letter. But, if just one program wants an employer, then don't use that employer letter as one of your four for AADSAS. You'll figure it out but nice of you to let everyone know so they can plan ahead.

Just be smart about it and I bet you'll be fine. For example, if all your programs require a biology letter, then use AADSAS to send in your bio letter. But, if just one program wants an employer, then don't use that employer letter as one of your four for AADSAS. You'll figure it out but nice of you to let everyone know so they can plan ahead.

yea i figured as much. i'm planning on sending another science letter to columbia directly since they need three.

i guess the main point of my post was to inquire about the letter from the research advisor more than anything else.

So I guess the million dollar question is...would the letter from my research advisor count as a science letter?

it might depend on the school. It counts as a science letter at ucsf (it did for me) goodluck

Well if you're sending a committee letter, you can have your recommendors send their letters to the pre-health committee and have the committee send the whole thing as one package. This lets you have as many letters as you want (I think so anyways- I cant imagine AADSAS having a problem with how many letters come in your committee letter package, but what do I know).

do you really need any more letters than the committee letter and maybe one from a dentist? I don't really see how overkill will help you here.

do you really need any more letters than the committee letter and maybe one from a dentist? I don't really see how overkill will help you here.

Yup if the school requires it! Just check with the school and you'll know your answer. But yeah, don't overkill.

the letter of reccomendation form is only available in May correct? if i wanted to send a 5th letter outside of aadsas would i need to print out the letter of rec form on the website and include it in my letter as well? or would i just send the letter alone to the admissions office of each school?

the research letter counted as a science letter for every school i had applied to, so i guess you're in the clear

i only submitted 4 letters total:

1 dentist
1 engineering (science)
1 biology
1 research

and that had me covered for all my schools

you dont need the humanities one, if you can't spare letters, id take that one out

the research letter counted as a science letter for every school i had applied to, so i guess you're in the clear

i only submitted 4 letters total:

1 dentist
1 engineering (science)
1 biology
1 research

and that had me covered for all my schools

you dont need the humanities one, if you can't spare letters, id take that one out

Thats great to hear, thanks. Mind if i ask what schools you applied to?

Also, are there any schools that specifically request a letter from a non-science professor?