AADSAS Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigJ77

BlackIce
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick Question....I plan on taking the DAT mid to late June. But I want to submit my application to AADSAS as early as possible. I have read on SDN that it takes AADSAS 4-6 weeks to process and send applications to schools. My GPA is not the greatest and I really wouldn't want the schools to just see my GPA and throw my application out without scores. Am I safe with applying in MAY/early June and getting the scores to the schools just in time?

Members don't see this ad.

BigJ77 said:
Quick Question....I plan on taking the DAT mid to late June. But I want to submit my application to AADSAS as early as possible. I have read on SDN that it takes AADSAS 4-6 weeks to process and send applications to schools. My GPA is not the greatest and I really wouldn't want the schools to just see my GPA and throw my application out without scores. Am I safe with applying in MAY/early June and getting the scores to the schools just in time?

sorry man but if your grades are bad thats just what they will do is toss your app. You will have to get one heck of a DAT and like I have heard so many times, A 4-HOUR TEST ISNT GOING TO MAKE UP FOR 4 YEARS OF MISTAKES.

So, just enroll in a masters program and study this time if you have intentions of going for this.

A good DAT score is just that. Still doesnt make up for very poor grades.

BigJ77 said:
It really depends on your gpa. If it's somewhere around 3.0, then rock the DAT,and you should get some interviews. A lot of it depends on if you've shown improvement and what your grades in your science classes were like and you have the usual app padding (volunteering, research, shadowing). Without more information it's hard to give proper advice. But, if your grades are okay, the schools are not going to just reject you. They will send you a form asking for your DAT scores. If you think you are a borderline candidate it's always to your advantage to apply as early as possible. Finally, if you don't get in this next cycle, I would suggest taking some more upper level science classes after you graduate or repeating some classes you had trouble with (if you are getting ready to finish your degree). When I decided to become a dentist, I had been out of school for a while, and just started taking more undergraduate classes. It worked for me. I never thought it was a good idea to start a masters program that you had no intention of completing (just to try to sweeten the pot for your dental school ap). I felt it would show that I had a tendency to not finish a post graduate program and it might take away a spot from someone who really wanted to be in that program. No offense to those that went this route and genuinely wanted that masters, it's just I chose another way to get where I wanted to be. Of course, if there aren't many other classes you can take it might be your only option to beef up that gpa. Good Luck!!!