Aamc #3: 28

Started by Paratodoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Paratodoc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took my first practice exam tonight (AAMC # 3) and received a 28 composite score (10 VR, 10 BS, 8 PS).The exam was simulated under real conditions.

I have about two more weeks of preparation until my exam on August 16th. I'm currently aiming the DO route for personal reasons (although haven't ruled out the MD route). I've been studying pretty intensely for about one month and loosely for about two. I've yet to finish my review of the physical sciences, based on my current strategy. I'm using TBR for everything except biology.

I'm looking for people's thoughts specifically about AAMC # 3. Is it a reliable indicator of the real thing (I've read that anecdotally it's not like the current exams, particularly in biology)? I found the exam to be quite difficult, but then again it was my first attempt.

A) Should I reschedule before tonight's deadline?
B) If you were to hunker down and try and raise the score to a 30, how would you go about it?

Thank You.
 
I took my first practice exam tonight (AAMC # 3) and received a 28 composite score (10 VR, 10 BS, 8 PS).The exam was simulated under real conditions.

I have about two more weeks of preparation until my exam on August 16th. I'm currently aiming the DO route for personal reasons (although haven't ruled out the MD route). I've been studying pretty intensely for about one month and loosely for about two. I've yet to finish my review of the physical sciences, based on my current strategy. I'm using TBR for everything except biology.

I'm looking for people's thoughts specifically about AAMC # 3. Is it a reliable indicator of the real thing (I've read that anecdotally it's not like the current exams, particularly in biology)? I found the exam to be quite difficult, but then again it was my first attempt.

A) Should I reschedule before tonight's deadline?
B) If you were to hunker down and try and raise the score to a 30, how would you go about it?

Thank You.

Two weeks is really tight. Are you studying full time?
 
Do the rest of the practice exams. I wouldn't reschedule unless you're absolutely sure you won't have reviewed all the material by then. You can definitely get to a 30, and going DO means you've got a backup plan if you fall to a 26 or so.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dude don't worry. I took aamc 3 and got something similar and then studied my but off for a few days and took 7 and went all the way up to 34. Since it was my first practice test, i had no clue what to expect and i was so nervous even though it was just a practice. Trust me, study, and be confident and you'll do great.
 
I took AAMC 3 nine days before my exam and got a 27. Studied my butt off and got a 35 on the real thing

The encouraging, although probably a unique situation. It would be nice!

The nice thing was that the areas I faltered on closely correlated to the areas of the physical sciences that I haven't reviewed yet. For instance. I missed 4 of 5 of an entire passage on harmonics. A) I hadn't reviewed it yet and B) It was barely covered in my undergraduate physics course.

To be honest, I was expecting lower. I felt like that exam was very abstract, especially in the physical sciences. Some of the questions seemed like they had nothing to do with anything I've reviewed. The exam felt very difficult. I'm doing TBR and most people say their questions are more difficult than anything on the MCAT. I've been doing better on those questions that I did on the AAMC (10-11) . That's concerning. Either AAMC #3 is nothing like the current MCAT, which could be good or bad, or it really all came down to the content I hadn't reviewed.

I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me how they would compare the AAMC # 3 to the current exam, good or bad. I appreciate everyone's feedback!
 
I am taking the Aug 16th MCAT as well, and just took AAMC#3 for the first time tonight under tested conditions and received a score of 28 too. (11 Bio, 8 Verbal, 9 Phy) I am pretty worried too, I really want to break the 30 mark.
 
If it makes any of you feel better, I took aamc 3 around a month before my exam and got a 29. My actual test was a 34, so I wouldn't put too much stock in it 🙂