Feb 19, 2010
Status
What is the general consensus regarding AAMC 3?
Is it too easy?
Should I take it? only take it towards the end if I have time or just forget about it?
Are the sciences easy and the verbal hard?

I keep hearing a lot of opinions about it and I keep forgetting the general idea of the difficulty AAMC 3 is.

Thanks.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
What is the general consensus regarding AAMC 3?
Is it too easy?
Should I take it? only take it towards the end if I have time or just forget about it?
Are the sciences easy and the verbal hard?

I keep hearing a lot of opinions about it and I keep forgetting the general idea of the difficulty AAMC 3 is.

Thanks.
You should definitely take it. Take it as a diagnostic exam after you are done with your content review. I think the general consensus is that it is relatively easy compared to the other AAMCs. You should take all the AAMCs.

Mar 6, 2010
Status
You should definitely take it. Take it as a diagnostic exam after you are done with your content review. I think the general consensus is that it is relatively easy compared to the other AAMCs. You should take all the AAMCs.
I took it, scored a 31 on it.

Studied for 5 more weeks, got a 31 on the real MCAT. So yes its easier then the real thing (same score as mcat but mcat was taken after 5 more week of studying)

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I didn't think it was any different than the other AAMC exams and even if it is, it's still great practice and definitely worth taking, especially since it is free.

frescoengano

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2007
NorCal
Status
Pre-Medical
i didn't think that aamc 3 was "easier"...its just different topics. as a matter of fact, it was my lowest practice aamc

DrWily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Same. AAMC 3 was one of my lowest scores (29) and now I got a 36 on AAMC 9. But since AAMC 3 was my first practice test, I wasn't used to the endurance needed for the test, the styling of the passages/questions, and the overall frame of mind that the test requires. By AAMC 9, I feel that I have acquired those skills.

Definitely take it, if not just to build your confidence if you get a 45! :)

Vanguard23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Same. AAMC 3 was one of my lowest scores (29) and now I got a 36 on AAMC 9. But since AAMC 3 was my first practice test, I wasn't used to the endurance needed for the test, the styling of the passages/questions, and the overall frame of mind that the test requires. By AAMC 9, I feel that I have acquired those skills.
:)
Kinda the same for me, though I scored like a 34 on 9 and a 28 on 3.

Jan 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
AAMC3 is without a doubt easier than the others, but your score might not reflect that because you are not accustomed to the style/length of the MCAT. The real thing has much much longer passages and the bio is based more off the experimental knowledge they present to you rather than your own knowledge, as is the case here. AAMC9 is your best predictor for test day, and even that is not exactly indicative.

MegaSpectacular

Removed
Dec 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
everyone is different.

The MCAT, by its nature, varies greatly from one test to another.

Yet a practiced individual can usually hit his/her average.

An unpracticed individual will usually have more jumpy scores. So I guess it depends on when you take AAMC and whether it includes your strengths or not and lastly, how well rounded you are.

Feb 19, 2010
Status
Basically I took AAMC 4-8...

Is AAMC 3 good practice? Many mention it's easier than the real thing but it's either AAMC 3 or a Kaplan FL.

Aug 29, 2009
Kansas City
Status
Medical Student
Basically I took AAMC 4-8...

Is AAMC 3 good practice? Many mention it's easier than the real thing but it's either AAMC 3 or a Kaplan FL.
What would you lose by taking it? Its just more passages to study...Take it, don't take it...its up to you. It only takes a couple of hours anyway