Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,
For this problem, they say that there's a certain compound that's insoluble in water, but soluble in HCl and this compound yields an alcohol and carb acid. I know it must be an ester if it yields ethanol and carb acid but I thought esters were soluble in water due to the carbonyl so I ended up choosing another answer. Do we have to assume the ester had a large R group so it wouldn't be soluble?
For this problem, they say that there's a certain compound that's insoluble in water, but soluble in HCl and this compound yields an alcohol and carb acid. I know it must be an ester if it yields ethanol and carb acid but I thought esters were soluble in water due to the carbonyl so I ended up choosing another answer. Do we have to assume the ester had a large R group so it wouldn't be soluble?