**aamc 6r**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tex10

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on this?

I thought PS harder than usual...

Members don't see this ad.

I actually didn't think that the PS was bad at all..
What did get me, though, was VR.. :scared: it was quite..ahem.. different from the Kaplan VR sections that I've been taking.. :scared:

yeah, the VR section had one or two passages that were head scratchers. On the up side, it also had a few passages that I found genuinely entertaining which helped with the slugging on ... I cracked up a few times during that passage about the steamships and the incessant polishing

I loved all the genetics passages on the BS though. I heard the April MCAT was full of genetics and had very little orgo, why didn't I write then :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the PS was a lot easier than the 4R. I went down 2 points in that section on 4R! I've learned that the PS varies from test to test..it all just depends on what material you are comfortable with. So much depends on LUCK! But yeah, verbal sucked. Bio I thought was better.

And as for genetics questions...I'm hoping for just a few of those and lots of organic (but maybe I'm just crazy).

I thought 6R was relatively easy compared to the one's Kaplan doles out. My scores have gone up over my best Kaplan and I really needed that about now.

i loved the verbal passage about the british navy. i think it was the first passage, so it put me in a good mood. i made a 12 on it, which is my usual kaplan score, so it didn't seem particularly harder. i also thought the ps section was fairly easy, but it was the first aamc ps test that i'd taken. it's definitely easier than the kaplan stuff. overall, i scored 3 points higher than my usual kaplan average, so i'm hoping it's a good predictor.

I just wrote it today....
PS: Harder than any of the other AAMC tests. It started out really easy, then ended kind of brutal.

Verbal: It felt hard when writing it... but my score actually went up from all of the other AAMC tests.....

BS: Felt ok when I was writing it... neded up with a really great score... Ochem was meh.. not brutal, but not good.

ochem was a doozie its nothing like class
its all about O18 nudging its way into things ( i got that Q wrong)
its like u haveto inutuition the mechanism to get it right

ouch!! don't tell me that..and all this orgo..for nothing..????

wish me luck; i have to take my final in a few hours. i got no sleep and feel like a zoombie but i can't sleep now; i'll feel even worse, if that's possible. and i need to get back on track for Saturday. ugh

i feel like screaming but no one -would hear me

Hi,
I thought the BS section on the 6r was very diffrent from the others.. and much harder.. scored lower than my normal.
Hope the real deal is better than this..
Bye
Amy

DieselPetrolGrl said:
ochem was a doozie its nothing like class
its all about O18 nudging its way into things ( i got that Q wrong)
its like u haveto inutuition the mechanism to get it right

that one was actually not too bad i thought, as long as you understand whats happening. The O18 wasnt replacing any other O's, or pushing them out, it was just making an ether bond, so thats why it appears in the final molecule. =)

Hope the explanation helps a bit. Now the (+)- B-elemene.... I didn't get that at all.... why is (+)- the enantiomer of (-)- and not just a diastereomer? There were 3 chiral centers, so I thought since one of the signs were changing, only one of the centers would.

6R...well I got a 12 on verbal, which I've never gotten before, so that was exciting. :) I remember after taking the PS I thought it was wayyyyyy harder than 4 and 5 but my score was basically the same...I think bio for me was harder, or really i just made more dumb mistakes because I got a 10 whereas I typically get ~11s on bio...

Hi
I agree with bella there , my score on the verbal jumped up as well and i thought the bio was harder. I hope the real deal is easier. The PS actually wasnt that hard for me..

The question about the enatiomers.. the way i solved it was.. i looked to see rotation taking place on the given form at 2 places.. so in order for it to rotate into/out of page it had to have simulatenous rotation at both spots again and hence i chose A which was correct.

Bye
Amy

I just took it yesterday. Overall I got a 30 (10,10,10). I thought the PS was pretty difficult, but overall not too bad. VR definantly had some stupid answers that I didn't agree with.

ExplodingBoy said:
that one was actually not too bad i thought, as long as you understand whats happening. The O18 wasnt replacing any other O's, or pushing them out, it was just making an ether bond, so thats why it appears in the final molecule. =)

Hope the explanation helps a bit. Now the (+)- B-elemene.... I didn't get that at all.... why is (+)- the enantiomer of (-)- and not just a diastereomer? There were 3 chiral centers, so I thought since one of the signs were changing, only one of the centers would.

Well, ExplodingBoy,

the +/- signs represent the fact that enantiomers, not diasteromers, can rotate plan polarized light. This is the only was to differentiate between enantiomers b/c they have the same physical properties (and I believe the majority of their chemical properties are the same) . Diastereomers, on the other hand, have different physical properties, and hence, can be separated by physical means..

Anyhow, so, since there are 3 chiral centers for the (-) Beta elemene, the 3 stereocenters of its enantiomer (the (+) Beta elemene) MUST ALL BE INVERTED (so that they will be enantiomers). I hope this makes some sense..

just got my 6r score report back from TPR and i got a 37! i graded it online first and only got a 36 because i messed up on filling in just one bio question. apparently missing 6 is a 13 while missing just 5 is a 14 on bio. i just hope i can get close to a 37 this saturday.

i thought that 6R was harder than all the other previous aamc tests. with the others, i got done incredibly quickly with each sections, not with 6r though. maybe it was just that it focused on all my weak points... hmm...

I got a 28 on 6R. A 9 in verbal was kind of surprising but I was confused by the geology questions.

I thought the evolution questions in Bio were kind of tough but I managed a 10 there (which is the best I've managed on Bio).

I slipped two points on PS and I'm not sure why.

docjolly said:
Well, ExplodingBoy,

the +/- signs represent the fact that enantiomers, not diasteromers, can rotate plan polarized light. This is the only was to differentiate between enantiomers b/c they have the same physical properties (and I believe the majority of their chemical properties are the same) . Diastereomers, on the other hand, have different physical properties, and hence, can be separated by physical means..

Anyhow, so, since there are 3 chiral centers for the (-) Beta elemene, the 3 stereocenters of its enantiomer (the (+) Beta elemene) MUST ALL BE INVERTED (so that they will be enantiomers). I hope this makes some sense..

man, i just realized what was tripping me up this whole time....

I thought that (+)- was (plus)minus and it's enantiomer was (minus)minus, so i couldnt see why in an enantiomer, only 1 of the 2 symbols are changing, when it should be totally different... It is actually (plus)dash. im ******ed...