Aamc 7 ps # 49

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letaps

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I really don't understand this question. I know that a faraday is the charge per mole of electron. So, the question stem is saying there is 0.1 C/mole of electron (is that right?)...from here i don't where to go...

Approximately how many moles of Al3+ are reduced when 0.1 faraday of charge passes through a cell during the production of Al? (Note: Assume there is excess Al3+ available and that Al3+ is reduced to Al metal only.)

A) 0.033 mol
A faraday is equal to one mole of electric charge. Because each aluminum ion gains 3 electrons, 0.1 faraday of charge will reduce 0.1/3 moles of aluminum, or 0.033 moles of aluminum.

B) 0.050 mol

C) 0.067 mol

D) 0.10 mol

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I really don't understand this question. I know that a faraday is the charge per mole of electron. So, the question stem is saying there is 0.1 C/mole of electron (is that right?)...from here i don't where to go...

Approximately how many moles of Al3+ are reduced when 0.1 faraday of charge passes through a cell during the production of Al? (Note: Assume there is excess Al3+ available and that Al3+ is reduced to Al metal only.)

A) 0.033 mol
A faraday is equal to one mole of electric charge. Because each aluminum ion gains 3 electrons, 0.1 faraday of charge will reduce 0.1/3 moles of aluminum, or 0.033 moles of aluminum.

B) 0.050 mol

C) 0.067 mol

D) 0.10 mol

Look at the explanation in this way:

1 faraday is associated with 1 mole of electrons.
==> 0.1 faraday is equivalent to 0.1 mole of electrons.

Since 3 moles of electrons are needed to reduce 1 mole of Al3+, 0.1 mole of electrons will therefore reduce:

(0.1 mole of electrons x 1 mole of Al3+)/3 mole of electrons
= 0.033 mole of Al3+

Reactions: 2 users