Aamc 9 #174

Started by 87138
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

8

87138

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For some reason I'm not getting the explanation completely. Namely, the solution key I have says "As molecular weight increases, the rate of filtration is expected to decrease, as shown in C and D", but with no actual reasoning.

This is probably a stupid question, but why exactly? I guess I was thinking of it as "if the pores are not changing size, as the molecular weight (I was making the perhaps incorrect assumption that weight correlated with size) increases, fewer particles would travel through the pores. Is it just that I'm backwards with the meaning of the "rate of filtration?" I was thinking that this was referring to solute particles being "filtered" out (i.e. being stopped by the membrane), but I guess it means the rate of filtration as in the rate of the fluid flowing through the membrane?

This is one of those dumb questions where it should be obvious and I'm overthinking it. I'm hoping someone who's less burnt out than me can explain it better.
 
Large molecules will not be filtered through the glomerulus and bowmans capsule. So if there are molecules with larger mol weights, they will not be filtered so filtration will decrease. Thats how I understand it.
 
bkpa2med said:
Large molecules will not be filtered through the glomerulus and bowmans capsule. So if there are molecules with larger mol weights, they will not be filtered so filtration will decrease. Thats how I understand it.



Ah, then my error is a stupid one in not understanding fully what "filtration rate" meant, I guess. I was thinking that "filtering" meant being "stopped from entering". I was thinking filtered BY, not filtered THROUGH.

I'm an idiot sometimes.
 
rogerwilco said:
Ah, then my error is a stupid one in not understanding fully what "filtration rate" meant, I guess. I was thinking that "filtering" meant being "stopped from entering". I was thinking filtered BY, not filtered THROUGH.

I'm an idiot sometimes.
Naw I missed it too. I thought it was pretty vague.
 
rogerwilco said:
For some reason I'm not getting the explanation completely. Namely, the solution key I have says "As molecular weight increases, the rate of filtration is expected to decrease, as shown in C and D", but with no actual reasoning.

This is probably a stupid question, but why exactly? I guess I was thinking of it as "if the pores are not changing size, as the molecular weight (I was making the perhaps incorrect assumption that weight correlated with size) increases, fewer particles would travel through the pores. Is it just that I'm backwards with the meaning of the "rate of filtration?" I was thinking that this was referring to solute particles being "filtered" out (i.e. being stopped by the membrane), but I guess it means the rate of filtration as in the rate of the fluid flowing through the membrane?

This is one of those dumb questions where it should be obvious and I'm overthinking it. I'm hoping someone who's less burnt out than me can explain it better.

i dont know if this helps..but i also have this visual depiction of molecules with high molecular weight being really large and slow...intuitively you just would assume that things large would be slower where as things that are smaller are quicker since they can squeeze through things easily...hahah i dont know if this makes sense 🙄 i hope it does!