AAMC Activities Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1156661

Hi - posting for a friend since I applied this cycle!

My friend is applying this cycle and she is a little confused about how to label one of her activities. She has a fair amount of research hours, but low clinical hours. She was given an opportunity to work on a clinical research study. Here she will mainly rotate with her PI through various specialties and work directly with patients. In some instances, she will conduct surveys about the patient's time at the hospital. Can she count this as clinical instead of research? Her title is volunteer research assistant, but most of the time it will be direct patient interaction or shadowing PI.

Members don't see this ad.

I had an experience that was a mixture of hands on clincal experience and shadowing, so I counted 1/3 of the time under my shadowing entry (labeled it shadowing at X clinic, combined with other shadowing activities) and 2/3 as it's own entry that I counted as clinical. Any clinical time (i.e. working with sick patients and helping with their care) could be counted seperately from research (conducting and analyzing surveys).

I had an experience that was a mixture of hands on clincal experience and shadowing, so I counted 1/3 of the time under my shadowing entry (labeled it shadowing at X clinic, combined with other shadowing activities) and 2/3 as it's own entry that I counted as clinical. Any clinical time (i.e. working with sick patients and helping with their care) could be counted seperately from research (conducting and analyzing surveys).
oh great thanks so it's possible to use the same activity/contact person but divide it into clinical hours and research hours? i wasn't sure about "double dipping" but as long as the hours are separated should be fine?

Reactions: 1 user
oh great thanks so it's possible to use the same activity/contact person but divide it into clinical hours and research hours? i wasn't sure about "double dipping" but as long as the hours are separated should be fine?
Yes, I did this, as did several other people I know, who have all had successful cycles. It's not really double dipping because you are splitting the hours, not double counting them.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users