Can someone go over AAMC 5R question 121?
The correct answer states that no examples of tools were given in the passage but the last paragraph mentions choppers, scrappers and flakes.
Little late, but I got this question (86 on the CBT) wrong for the same reason and when I went back and read the passage, I realized the last paragraph abruptly stopped talking about Neandertals and started talking about tools in general. Then, it quickly loops back to Neandertals with these statements: "The Levallois technique was developed, enabling toolmakers to produce several large flakes from a single lump of rock. When the Neandertals came onto the scene, they further refined this technique." So the choppers and scrapers mentioned earlier don't apply to the Neandertals.
However, while AAMC asserts that NO examples of tools manufactured by Neandertals were given, clearly the passage says they made flakes. If the question had said "inventing artifacts" then I could see how their answer is right, but it says "manufacturing artifacts".
Maybe they're not aware of the definition of manufacture, though (the definition includes to "make" and also to "invent"):
to make or produce by hand or machinery, especially on a large scale.
to invent fictitiously; fabricate; concoct:
Question:
The author claims that the Neandertals were resourceful in manufacturing artifacts. The support for this conclusion is:
Answer: weak; no examples of their tools are given.
Answer I chose: weak; their tools remained few and crude.