AAMC Course Classification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LabDoc33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I searched the forums for this but nothing I could find related enough to my situation.

I had a question about the BCPM calculation, a majority of my major's classes were biology themed as the major content of the course, but they did not have the BIO prefix.

Has anyone had any experience placing classes like hematology, clinical biochem, clinical micro into their BCPM grades? I understand where the case could be made for putting them in allied health, but they are truly extremely bio content courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea I was looking at that and trying to discern what category it would fall under.

If I put them in my BCPM it would really help my sGPA since I killed those classes

Members don't see this ad :)
Hematology = very specific biology
Bio Chemistry
Micro is explicitly included.

For last years app all of my lab science classes were classified as BCPM, AAMC did not change one, even though they very well could have classified them as allied health.

Didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd try asking here.

I am taking an Immunology course with an HSC prefix, it is Foundations of Public Health Immunology. It falls under both the health science (public health) category but also biology (immunlogy). This would not be a BCPM course by AAMC standards?

I also took a Psychological Biology course with a PSB prefix; Intro to Brain and Behavior. It is technically a neuroscience course under biology, but it's a psych bio course. I'm also going to assume that is not a BCPM course as well.

Thanks for any clarification!

I guess this would be a good thread to ask instead of starting a new one as well. I took some seminar classes my freshmen year in Physics and Bio that were not intense at all but still listed under the Phys and Bio headings. If I classify them as BPCM do yall think amcas would change them?

I guess this would be a good thread to ask instead of starting a new one as well. I took some seminar classes my freshmen year in Physics and Bio that were not intense at all but still listed under the Phys and Bio headings. If I classify them as BPCM do yall think amcas would change them?

Nope, I've seen many people at my school do this. We have required writing seminars with themes. I wish I took a Bio/Chem one looking back.

I also am in a similar situation. I am a Nutrition & Food Science major and have taken plenty BIO based courses such as Food Chemistry, and Metabolism. Do you guys these classes can be included in the BCPM? The food chemistry class was essentially BIO chemistry as far as the content that was presented in the course.

I also am in a similar situation. I am a Nutrition & Food Science major and have taken plenty BIO based courses such as Food Chemistry, and Metabolism. Do you guys these classes can be included in the BCPM? The food chemistry class was essentially BIO chemistry as far as the content that was presented in the course.

I had Food Micro listed as BCMP.

Food Chemistry could be listed as BCMP, but I doubt Metabolism would stay that way. I would focus on classes that have BCMP in the name (Maybe something like Physical Food or Food Biochem). You could try listing all your nutrition classes a BCMP, but it's very clear in the AAMC guide that nutrition and food classes are not BCMP classes but "Everything Else".