AAMC FL 2 BB 33

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I was stuck on this one between C and D.

If D had said, "To determine whether NPY can modulate GnRH activity", then would that make it correct? I know that the dependent variable here was LH concentration, but the way they described the activity of hypothalamic factors as "not stimulating LH release on their own" lead me to believe that C would not be the best choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Third paragraph: hypothalamic factors that regulate LH secretion = neuromodulators

Neuropeptide Y = hypothalamic factor

GnRH = releasing factor

So "C" is best since they are testing whether neuropeptide y addition modulates LH secretion. No where do they mention neuropeptide y and its relationship with GnRH.

Third paragraph: hypothalamic factors that regulate LH secretion = neuromodulators

Neuropeptide Y = hypothalamic factor

GnRH = releasing factor

So "C" is best since they are testing whether neuropeptide y addition modulates LH secretion. No where do they mention neuropeptide y and its relationship with GnRH.

In the third paragraph, it says that neuromodulators do not stimulate LH release on their own, but modulate the response of the secretory cells of the anterior pituitary to GnRH

Last paragraph - shown in table 1 yada yada, examine effects of NPY on pituitary (as that is where LH comes from). That's why you have NPY alone in the chart. This shows that NPY alone isn't enough to stimulate LH, but you need GnRH too (highest value in the chart). Where does it state (implicit or explict) in the passage that they are testing the effects of NPY on GnRH?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last paragraph - shown in table 1 yada yada, examine effects of NPY on pituitary (as that is where LH comes from). That's why you have NPY alone in the chart. This shows that NPY alone isn't enough to stimulate LH, but you need GnRH too (highest value in the chart). Where does it state (implicit or explict) in the passage that they are testing the effects of NPY on GnRH?

In the third paragraph, it says "These factors known as neuromodulators...do not stimulate LH release on their own....but modulate the responses of the secretory cells to GnRH." This is what confused me, but looking at it again, I guess it makes sense that D would only be correct if they had said "modulate GnRH action" rather than "secretion". They know that it modulates the action of GnRH rather than the actual secretion of the hormone, so D wouldn't make sense since they know that the "action" is modulated rather than the "secretion"

And besides, I guess the dependent variable in this study was LH secretion, so that would make C more true I suppose.

In the third paragraph, it says "These factors known as neuromodulators...do not stimulate LH release on their own....but modulate the responses of the secretory cells to GnRH." This is what confused me, but looking at it again, I guess it makes sense that D would only be correct if they had said "modulate GnRH action" rather than "secretion". They know that it modulates the action of GnRH rather than the actual secretion of the hormone, so D wouldn't make sense since they know that the "action" is modulated rather than the "secretion"

And besides, I guess the dependent variable in this study was LH secretion, so that would make C more true I suppose.
GnRH is secreted from the hypothalamus, but they are looking at the influence on the pituitary, so that's why D is wrong. You even wrote "modulate the responses of the secretory cells of the anterior pituitary to GnRH". This means NPY does something to the pituitary itself that allows GnRH to work better (action). However, the fact that there is a NPY-alone condition implies that they are testing with NPY can do what GnRH does (cause pituitary to secrete LH).

Reactions: 1 user