AAMC FL #7 Question 51

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lamborghiniMD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Approximately how many moles of Al3+ are reduced when .1 faraday of charge passes through a cell during the production of Al? Assume Al3+ is reduced to Al metal only.

The answer is .033mol, but can anyone show me how you would solve this? I had no idea. I have the paper version so I don't have explanations to answers for this test. Thanks!
 
A faraday is equal to the charge found in one mole of electrons. Given a value expressed in faradays and a reduction half reaction, we have to calculate the number of moles being used up.

Al3+ + 3e– → Al

Based on the half reaction, we know that three electrons are used up for every mole of Al3+ that gets reduced. Next, we can use dimensional analysis to calculate the number of moles of Al3+:
 

Attachments