AAMC I scoring question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just took AAMC practice test I for diagnostic purposes- I haven't started reviewing anything yet. My question: is there any way to estimate what your scaled score would be from the raw scores? The table in the answer key to this test does not include a conversion for scaled scores, only percentile ranks. I looked at the tables in the answer keys of AAMC II and III, which do include scaled score conversions, and this would put my score at 27-30 (the range is because the tables are slightly different). Is this a reasonable approximation of what my scaled score for AAMC I might be? I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this, I just would like to monitor my progress as I begin studying and the easiest way to do this and to see how I might do on the real thing is to look at the scaled scores.

I plan to look at the difficulty levels and skill codes included in the answer key to determine where to focus my studying, which was my main purpose in taking this first test, but does anyone know how AAMC I compares to the actual MCAT? I am just curious if the scores I received on it might be similar to what I could expect to get on the real MCAT now, or if AAMC I is considered much easier or harder. I think it is probably about right, since I also took a half-length free diagnostic test that Kaplan offered at my school and scored a 27 on that a couple of months ago, so about the same as I did on this test. But as I am new to all of this, I wanted to get other people's opinions if I could.

By the way, thank you to everyone for the excellent responses, both to my posts and others. They have been invaluable to me in formulating a study plan for the MCAT and communicating with other pre-meds, which is great since I don't really know many other pre-meds at my school. It is so helpful to have a community to turn to with questions or for advice.

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, AAMC 1-3 are crap. Their scoring isnt very accurate (as you yourself have discovered) and the test is significantly easier than the test you will be taken. I would consider just using AAMC 1-3 as a question bank (and a rather easy one at that). AAMC 4-6 can provide you with actual scoring data that is relatively accurate, something that the first three tests cant do.