AAMC MCAT SECTION BANK/Q-Pack VS. REAL MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FAJ210

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after all my content review I started to do the AAMC Q-pack . My first take for each section was average but as I went back and did couple of more thorough content review my score , understanding and time improved significantly. BUT then last week I bought and did the AAMC section bank and holy crap those graphs almost gave me an aneurysm, The amount of detail to be dissected and interpreted was overwhelming specially because I was timing myself. I am planning to review the section bank question by question and analyze picked the wrong answer and what can i do to get the right answer in the given time.
I FELT LIKE THE BIOCHEM BASED PASSAGED WITH COMPLEX GRAPHS WERE THE HARDEST. THE PHYS/CHEM/PHSYCH/SOC QUESTION WERE MANAGEABLE.

DID ANYONE ELSE FEEL THIS WAY?
IS IT A WASTE OF TIME TO GO OVER THE SECTION QUESTION BY QUESTION?
I AM TAKING THE MCAT ON APRIL 1ST, ANY LAST WEEK ADVICE?
IS THE MCAT QUESTIONS IDENTICAL TO THE SECTION BANK?

Members don't see this ad.

So after all my content review I started to do the AAMC Q-pack . My first take for each section was average but as I went back and did couple of more thorough content review my score , understanding and time improved significantly. BUT then last week I bought and did the AAMC section bank and holy crap those graphs almost gave me an aneurysm, The amount of detail to be dissected and interpreted was overwhelming specially because I was timing myself. I am planning to review the section bank question by question and analyze picked the wrong answer and what can i do to get the right answer in the given time.
I FELT LIKE THE BIOCHEM BASED PASSAGED WITH COMPLEX GRAPHS WERE THE HARDEST. THE PHYS/CHEM/PHSYCH/SOC QUESTION WERE MANAGEABLE.

DID ANYONE ELSE FEEL THIS WAY?
IS IT A WASTE OF TIME TO GO OVER THE SECTION QUESTION BY QUESTION?
I AM TAKING THE MCAT ON APRIL 1ST, ANY LAST WEEK ADVICE?
IS THE MCAT QUESTIONS IDENTICAL TO THE SECTION BANK?
Hi @FAJ210 !

take a deep breath... you are nto alone in finding a wide disparity of difficulty across AAMC materials, this is normal. you should also know that the AAMC Q packs are really just repackaged old materials from the pre-2015 MCAT. Some from old practice quizzes, some from old official MCAT exams.

The new section bank came out almost a year later, because the AAMC designed it to better reflect the new exam. That is why there seems to be such a big difference in content, graph type, and perceived level of difficulty.

Use the older materials to get used to the AAMC style and tone, and then focus on your performance on the newer materials as you get closer to test day.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @FAJ210 !

take a deep breath... you are nto alone in finding a wide disparity of difficulty across AAMC materials, this is normal. you should also know that the AAMC Q packs are really just repackaged old materials from the pre-2015 MCAT. Some from old practice quizzes, some from old official MCAT exams.

The new section bank came out almost a year later, because the AAMC designed it to better reflect the new exam. That is why there seems to be such a big difference in content, graph type, and perceived level of difficulty.

Use the older materials to get used to the AAMC style and tone, and then focus on your performance on the newer materials as you get closer to test day.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Thank you for the encouragement.

Lol chill bro! Section bank is real MCAT on roids. Real MCAT is somewhere between Q pack and section bank. Those "killer" passages they throw around maybe ~1-2 per section = section bank level.

Reactions: 1 users