AAMC outline - missing physics topics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spackler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am surprised that the AAMC outline listing physics topics is missing some important concepts - especially topics concerning magnetism (only topics listed for magnetism are definition of magnetic field and existence and direction of force on a charge moving in a mag field).

Important topics that seem to be missing from the ouline:
Magnetic field and direction created by a current, including Ampere's law.
Electromagnetic Induction which covers multiple topics.

It would be great it was certain that we are only tested on topics covered in the outline, but is this truly the case? I'm not sure if I should waste time going through these missing topics or if I should just follow the outline...what do you guys think? The same probably applies to topics in the other science and bio sections.

Interestingly, TBR physics includes several topics (like Lenz's law, Faraday's law, Solenoids, DC elec motors, Velocity Selectors) that are not listed on the outline.

Members don't see this ad.

Likely those other topics may not show up. It is also very likely that one or two questions show up with the topics not listed by the AAMC, however. It would be wise to understand all concepts TBR is giving you in physics. I know the Kaplan review notes include Lenz's Law and Faraday's Law, and in fact both of those topics were indeed tested on a few of the AAMC practice exams I have taken.

My thoughts on the AAMC outline...
As the pirates of the Carribean have once said, its more of a set of "guidelines"

TBR and other prep companies have material in their content books that is not directly tested on the exam. Whether you want to include these materials in your study is up to you, but according to the AAMC the test will not assume prior knowledge of topics not contained in the outline.

If you want to be certain, consider looking for the topics in the file linked in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=905845

EDIT: While the list in that thread is still interesting, it seems alkene and alkyne reactions are listed under the topics there, and those have not been included in testable material in years, so the list there is over-complete.