AAMC practice tests I & II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how useful these tests are compared to the other AAMC tests. I know they don't include solutions, just an answer key, but I was thinking about using one of them as an assessment test before I begin studying. Test I does have a list of skill codes for each answer so you can see what areas you need to work on, so I might use that one. I want to save the others (III-VI) to gauge my performance after I have done most of my studying, to better asess how I might do on the real thing. Also, any advice on which companies put out good practice tests? I have bought full length practice tests from EK and Kaplan, I don't know how these are for practice or how they compare to the real thing. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC tests I and II are Ok, but much easier than the real deal (at least for me). The later one are much closer to the real thing. The Kaplan exams are alright...they are definitely good gauges of what you need to cover. Use later AAMC exams to see if you've actually mastered it, i.e., as a reality check to see if your score will be in the teens, thirties, or somewhere in between.

I found the earlier AAMC exams to be a good way to see how I was doing early on in the game. I found some of the first Kaplan tests to be dicouraging (the diagnostic!!!) I knew the diagnostic test is meant to be impossible and convince you that you are in truly desperate need of a review class and I felt very uneasy about the first full length Kaplan test (the PS section was awful. I scored a 22 on the diag. and a 25 on Kaplan I. I started to freak out and think that I was just incompetent and a loser. The MCAT process plays games with your self esteem! I took AAMC II and scored a 31. Now, I realized that everyone cautions that AAMC I and AAMC II are easier than the real thing; but it was still the confidence booster I needed. I most certainly did not rest on that score. I continued to study daily and took 5 more full length exams scoring between 30 and 34. My final score was 11V, 11PS, 11BS, S :33S