AAMC question pack target score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YossarianLives

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know that most people think the section bank is much more representative of the MCAT than the question packs. I've just started my AAMC work, and decided to do the Q packs first before the section bank.

I know that the section bank and full lengths will give me a better idea for a score range, but I'm just curious if anyone can comment on what kind of scores on the q packs are considered "good".

After completing the q packs, I'm just over 80% of questions correct, with the scores pretty constant across all sections. For anyone that has done the q packs and then taken the real thing, I'd love to hear how you did on each!

Members don't see this ad.

80% seems quite acceptable to me and probably indicates that you have a fairly solid base of content knowledge. However, I'll be the first to tell you that those question packs are not representative, in the least, of what you'll see on the real MCAT. From what I've heard, those are recycled and re-used questions from the old MCAT.

If you've taken any practice MCAT's from any company or even the real one, you'll know what I'm talking about. For example, those question packs are immensely lacking in any kind of research results interpretations and are really just questions you can answer by regurgitating a few facts and glancing at the passage.

Over 80% on your first pass is quite good. I encourage students to do the QP's early on in their studying, immediately after or concurrent with their initial content review.

A good rule of thumb for non-verbal QP's is that below 60 needs work, 70-80 is good and over 80 is very good.

They are indeed just amalgams of old AAMC tests and there have been many changes. That said, they're a good place to start for content review. The verbal QP's are pretty good approximations of the current test, but the new passages tend to be longer.