AAO Convocation 2005 Wrap-up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

melancholy

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since I'm having trouble getting to sleep, I thought I'd put this up:

- How'd everyone enjoy Reno/Tahoe this past week? How did everyone like being at The Nugget?

- Any insight as to Birmingham, AL for next year?????

Personally, Reno/Tahoe is a hard combination to beat, but with lack of transportation and the Nugget being a bit off the strip, I found myself spending little time outdoors which I didn't notice until I left the hotel this morning. It was fun to have the whole casino/party atmosphere, but it did get tiring after four to five days of fun and learning.

I also thought the facilities were slightly lacking compared to my experiences in Ottawa and Colorado Springs the last two years. I thought the rooms for Evening with the Stars were a bit cramped, divided and less conducive to the atmosphere of previous years where you had the excitement walking into these large ballrooms with students and docs everywhere.

I was somewhat disappointed in the use of the lunch area for activities such as elections and lectures. I realize there may have been factors such as limited space or the desire to have more students exposed to the elections process, but I felt that the noise level was a bit of an annoyance as well as a bit of disrespect due to the presented accomodations. Just my two cents there.

As far as Alabama goes, I know the site and facilities were scouted ahead of time, but I'm just curious as to choice of Alabama. I'm from Houston, Texas originally, but hey.. I will be looking forward to a little southern hospitality, jazz, creole food, and everything else they have to offer there. Sweet Home Alabama! 😀
 
*Bump*.. I know lots of students are recovering including many first years from various schools that had exams this Monday.
 
I thought the didactics at this year's Convocation were excellent and definitely better than last years. Although, I did enjoy Colordao Springs more than Reno, I thought the didactics this year were better. I am not a gambling man myself, so Reno was very boring to me.

The choice of Alabama is definitely an interesting one and I don't think that we can say anything about it until we get to Convo next year. Hopefully it is a good combination of a good Convention and a good town. See everyone there next year.