aba basic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Libertas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Not enjoyable. I'm fairly sure I passed - but there was a lot of random $hit on that. Much less clinically relevant, and I think (primarily from randomness standpoint) more difficult than ITE.

Members don't see this ad.

Any idea when scores come out for the basic exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt like the test was really similar to USMLE step 1. Mostly details that are not clinically useful. Did anyone feel this way? I felt that the test was hard.

Anyone call the ABA to check on the status of the result? Do they have the worlds greatest statisticians trying to figure out the pass rate? I'm starting to get a little anxious...

I spoke to them 2 days ago - they said scores wouldn't be released until the website was back up. Their estimate for the website being back up is September 2nd.

So I wouldn't hold your breath for a release this week, unfortunately :scared:

I felt like the test was really similar to USMLE step 1.
If you look at the content outline, that's exactly how it's supposed to be.

Now the $64,000 question is: did you structure your learning around it? Because most people don't do that, and then complain when unexpected things show up on the exam. I know because I was one of them.

Now the $64,000 question is: did you structure your learning around it? Because most people don't do that, and then complain when unexpected things show up on the exam. I know because I was one of them.

Thanks.

I did, until they put out the practice questions. Many of those fell outside of the scope of the content outline.

I used one of the new books geared specifically towards the outline of the basic boards during my last couple weeks of studying but still felt like the level of minutia asked in a few of the questions (literally molecular biology) was unanticipated. However, questions regarding actual anesthetics were so basic that it was almost ridiculous. The consensus from my class was that the exam was overall poorly written compared to the ITE and even USMLEs.

I can sympathize, because you have just described how I felt after my ABA written exam a few years ago. I felt downright disrespected.

Its a brand new exam so they'll likely need at least another week or two to adjust the fail rate and throw out questions etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called today to check on when they're going to release the BASIC scores and they told me at the end of next week (~Sept 19th)

FYI - I just got my results email. (Passed, now I can breathe).

Reportedly there was only a 3.5% fail rate so roughly 50 residents failed it. I don't understand why they don't give you a score if you passed. I'd want to know where I stand if I had to take it.

Congrats on passing it!

Reportedly there was only a 3.5% fail rate so roughly 50 residents failed it. I don't understand why they don't give you a score if you passed. I'd want to know where I stand if I had to take it.

From what I understand, the score comes later...

From what I understand, the score comes later...

If you passed, you never get a specific score. You'll get a "performance report", which I presume just lists keywords or categories. The ABA said they didn't want fellowships using BASIC scores to rank people. If you fail, they give you and your PD the score and percentile rank. The raw percent cutoff was 62% correct and 56 out of 1622 people failed.

If you passed, you never get a specific score. You'll get a "performance report", which I presume just lists keywords or categories. The ABA said they didn't want fellowships using BASIC scores to rank people.

Has the ABA posted this somewhere? This is the first I've heard of it

Has the ABA posted this somewhere? This is the first I've heard of it

It was in an email to program directors. I assume the same info comes in the letters they snail mail to us too. I understand the rationale but after putting in the effort to study for the damn thing, I'd like a little more specific information.

I was a little annoyed to not be getting a score after all that studying. Now, I'm upset at myself for taking this long to realize why they're withholding it.
The purported reason is that they don't want programs making fellowship decisions based off of it.
Because if they did, it may obviate the need for the ITE...