ABA masters program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovefash67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently interested in getting a masters in ABA. I was wondering if getting a masters in ABA will useful in regards to applying for clinical pscyhology phd program especially if I had a low undergrad gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently interested in getting a masters in ABA. I was wondering if getting a masters in ABA will useful in regards to applying for clinical pscyhology phd program especially if I had a low undergrad gpa?

I good graduate GPA will help if there was poor undergrad GPA, but only to a point. There is also nothing inherent to an ABA masters degree program that would make one more competitive for phd programs in clinical psychology. I would not train in ABA if your ultimate goal was something else. Cant imagine you be too happy during your training.

How much research experience do you have? If not much, then you need to start there.

Reactions: 1 user
I good graduate GPA will help if there was poor undergrad GPA, but only to a point. There is also nothing inherent to an ABA masters degree program that would make one more competitive for phd programs in clinical psychology. I would not train in ABA if your ultimate goal was something else. Cant imagine you be too happy during your training.

How much research experience do you have? If not much, then you need to start there.

Thank you for your insight I already have a masters but sadly it was done online. Now that I know online is frowned upon I am trying to find alternatives that won't cost much or that I would have to take out a loan for. Ultimately I am interested in ABA, autism spectrum, and ADHD. So, I was thinking ABA masters will be relating to my interests. I have a semester experience doing research and also 10 months experience. Currently I just started volunteering as a RA in clinic that match my research interests and they also have opportunities to do posters and publishing papers as well. I plan to volunteer there for at least two years.

I currently work as a social worker/advisor for a non profit do you think that getting a job as an RA will help?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want a PhD in clinical psych, I would do one of two things.

1) No research experience - try for an MA in general psych or experimental psych and find a research lab to work in. Try to at least get some posters, but shoot for a paper or two. This will exponentially help you get into a PhD program.

2) Have research experience already? Maybe try an MA in a mental health counseling program. They are also required to have supervised practicum experience, plus there is overlap in the coursework. If you already have a research background with posters and publications, and now you add in relevant clinical training plus improved grades in relevant classes, you should be in a better spot.

I did point number 2. I was originally a finance and economics major and hated it, but I switched to psychology too late in college to get any research or volunteer experience. So, instead of applying directly to a PhD program, I was accepted into a MHC program. During my first year, I maintained a 4.0, began working in a neurophysiology lab, and obtained a clinical externship. After the first year I applied to several PhD programs and had a few interviews. All liked the incoming clinical experience. Now I am applying for neuropsych postdocs 6 years later.

This was my experience, but I can attest to it being more relevant to the training one would receive in a clinical PhD program.

Thank you for your insight I already have a masters but sadly it was done online. Now that I know online is frowned upon I am trying to find alternatives that won't cost much or that I would have to take out a loan for. Ultimately I am interested in ABA, autism spectrum, and ADHD. So, I was thinking ABA masters will be relating to my interests. I have a semester experience doing research and also 10 months experience. Currently I just started volunteering as a RA in clinic that match my research interests and they also have opportunities to do posters and publishing papers as well. I plan to volunteer there for at least two years.

I currently work as a social worker/advisor for a non profit do you think that getting a job as an RA will help?
I answered your question in another thread. It's hard to help you when you keep posting variations on the same question. The answer doesn't really change. I didn't reply in regard to your question about that specific program because I'm not familiar with aba in terms of program outcomes and reputation....but i did tell you what to look for in a program.

It sucks that you're in a tough situation, and I applaud you for being smart about how to move forward this time. It might be hard to find a cheap program that gets you what you need. I am only familiar with one experimental masters that has awesome phd outcomes, but there are more out there. Time to find them!

There will be little to no course overlap between an ABA masters program and a clinical psych Ph.D. program. The ABA masters will take 2-3 years from start to BCBA certification, then your looking at another 6-8 years for Ph.D/licensure requirements. Does 10 more years of school, with actual and opportunity costs, make sense?

You may be able to do all that you want to with ABA credentialling, and get paid pretty well to do it. There's a big need for BCBAs in autism services. Your first step should be checking out the BACB.com website to see what you'd need to do to be BCBA eligible. Depending on the nature of your current masters degree, you may only need to take an approved 6 course sequence to be eligible for the BCBA (note that several states have ABA licensure requirements that may differ from BCBA eligibility standards). This won't help much- if at all- with your phd applications, but it may be a quicker and cheaper option.

There will be little to no course overlap between an ABA masters program and a clinical psych Ph.D. program. The ABA masters will take 2-3 years from start to BCBA certification, then your looking at another 6-8 years for Ph.D/licensure requirements. Does 10 more years of school, with actual and opportunity costs, make sense?

You may be able to do all that you want to with ABA credentialling, and get paid pretty well to do it. There's a big need for BCBAs in autism services. Your first step should be checking out the BACB.com website to see what you'd need to do to be BCBA eligible. Depending on the nature of your current masters degree, you may only need to take an approved 6 course sequence to be eligible for the BCBA (note that several states have ABA licensure requirements that may differ from BCBA eligibility standards). This won't help much- if at all- with your phd applications, but it may be a quicker and cheaper option.

Thank you so much for your input. I will be able to do a 6 course sequence in order to get my ABA license since I will technically have a masters degree. I think I will apply to ABA 6 course program as well as funded masters psychology program and decided what I should do from there depending on which program I get accepted to.

If you want a PhD in clinical psych, I would do one of two things.

1) No research experience - try for an MA in general psych or experimental psych and find a research lab to work in. Try to at least get some posters, but shoot for a paper or two. This will exponentially help you get into a PhD program.

2) Have research experience already? Maybe try an MA in a mental health counseling program. They are also required to have supervised practicum experience, plus there is overlap in the coursework. If you already have a research background with posters and publications, and now you add in relevant clinical training plus improved grades in relevant classes, you should be in a better spot.

I did point number 2. I was originally a finance and economics major and hated it, but I switched to psychology too late in college to get any research or volunteer experience. So, instead of applying directly to a PhD program, I was accepted into a MHC program. During my first year, I maintained a 4.0, began working in a neurophysiology lab, and obtained a clinical externship. After the first year I applied to several PhD programs and had a few interviews. All liked the incoming clinical experience. Now I am applying for neuropsych postdocs 6 years later.

This was my experience, but I can attest to it being more relevant to the training one would receive in a clinical PhD program.

Thank you for your advice Neurobrain I have both research and clinical experience but my undergrad GPA is what is holding me back. I will look into funded masters program.

I answered your question in another thread. It's hard to help you when you keep posting variations on the same question. The answer doesn't really change. I didn't reply in regard to your question about that specific program because I'm not familiar with aba in terms of program outcomes and reputation....but i did tell you what to look for in a program.

It sucks that you're in a tough situation, and I applaud you for being smart about how to move forward this time. It might be hard to find a cheap program that gets you what you need. I am only familiar with one experimental masters that has awesome phd outcomes, but there are more out there. Time to find them!

Okay , thank you. Do you think my research experience will help me possibly get into a funded masters program? I am interested in possibly applying to the New School masters psychology program.