Aba Oral/OSCE 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keepitcoming

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I’m currently at a loss of words. I found the exam ridiculously difficult. I am not writing this to scare anyone but I just wanted to share my experience. I studied extremely hard for the exam for 4 months. I did UBP x3 and made note cards that I memorized for what I thought would be grab bag questions. I then went through Rapid Review. I wasn’t fully confident going in as I wished that I had practiced more with people that would more aggressive during my one on one sessions. If you get a friend to do it with you make sure they interrupt you, make you go an tangents, and are aggressive. All four of my examiners were aggressive and this made my exam so much more difficult. The osce portion was not that easy either. I studied hard for that one to and memorized all the echos, blocks, and practiced with my wife on the QI/informed consent stuff. Don’t forget that during an informed consent, ALWAYS GET THE CONSENT AT THE END or at least make sure that you tried to get the consent even if they don’t agree....you can then say “so you do not want to verbally consent ?”I forgot to do that in two informed consent cases .

Generally speaking, this exam needs two things. 1) Kowneldge , 2) PRACTICE with tough people like maybe someone you don’t like every much at work (just to make you feel uncomfortable). You will be doing yourself a disfavor if you go around looking for the “good cop” to practice with and unfortunately you’ll learn this on test day and it will be too late. Some people say that UBP is more than enough but I didn’t see this in the slightest. In fact, both of my cases were not found in UBP and the silly detailed questions they asked were also not part of it. At the same time, I understand that there are not a lot of organized studies plans like UBP and I also understand that if you are lucky you will get stuff straight from UBP. To add to the above. I wouldn’t go around spending 5K to take some course in some state by some dude...don’t feel that it’s worth it or guarantees you success in the slightest. As I said before and will say again, this is a subjective test that needs a 3rd component to successfully pass (in addition to the above) which is LUCK. Luck in this regard can come in two flavors. 1) you know the case and 2) the board examiners are kind and not trying to get you or show off how amazingly brilliant they are. Not to give details but all 4 of my examiners were horrible from the start. One of them told me and I quote “I will be cutting you off all the time throughout this process so get used to it”. That’s how he introduced himself. Before that he told me to not shake his hand because of the corona virus...

All in all, it sucks that I will have to go back to that place and spend more money and time studying for this subjective money make test. They state that they are not out to get you but after my experience, I would say they are. Again, not everyone felt this way. Some had nice examiners. Luck luck luck

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.