ABA versus CBT in the:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychGraduate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
high functioning early teenage Autistic client not eligible for DTT. I am curious about your thoughts on theory of mind versus strict behavioral techniques... any behavior analysts here?

Members don't see this ad.

I find that in the highly functioning teenager with Autism, that a theory of mind coupled with strong behavioral cues works best in the context of CBT.

DTT sometimes does overlap in one or more deficient skill areas...

Members don't see this ad :)
BCBA here!

DTT is excellent for skill acquisition. In my experience DTT works best in younger children where we can control for satiation/deprivation of the reinforcement (much more easily) as well as gain more stimulus control.

We can still use ABA with the high functioning teen. DTT is just a teaching strategy based on principles of ABA. It all depends on what skills we are trying to teach. What would you consider "strict" behavioral techniques?

BCBA here!

DTT is excellent for skill acquisition. In my experience DTT works best in younger children where we can control for satiation/deprivation of the reinforcement (much more easily) as well as gain more stimulus control.

We can still use ABA with the high functioning teen. DTT is just a teaching strategy based on principles of ABA. It all depends on what skills we are trying to teach. What would you consider "strict" behavioral techniques?

In my past I worked for and with BCBA's and BA's and many of them were so hard working with 30 or more clients each and they were so dedicated to creating task analysis sheets which I also helped develop and apply.

I used DTT with 6 to 9 year olds mostly in my own work and training. I also used ABA modified for higher functioning teenagers with ASD. I worked through 4 agencies, one non-profit, one for profit and one of a blended model, and one funding such outreaches. I also integrated CBT and various other social learning theories in addition to ABA or devlopments based thereof. I used Michelle Winner's workbooks as well.

One of the problems is that for profit companies rely upon old school behavioral models even when other models are shown to be more effective, or when a more blended model using a theory of mind improves social skills, academic performance and self regulation than relying upon postive and negative reinforcement chiefly or alone. Now although CBT does have a basis in ABA and the data on ABA is extensive, newer interdisciplinary models, especially with highly functioning clients are typically more effective.

My issue is with ABA as it currently applied as it limits what can be funded by a school district or applied towards a student's IEP. I no longer work directly in that field but I still look at the data and field experience of people I know which seems to validate what I have been saying.

I look forward to your response.