ABEM recertification exam data.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone else is a loser like me and didn't do the exams until now (I only need to do 4 because I did 4 LLSA exams prior to the new pathway)...

1. Thoracorespiratory exam is actually pretty good and fair. Not difficult.
2. ABSOLUTELY do the social and behavioral exam. So easy my cat could pass it.

I'll let you know which other two I choose to do. I'm too tired to do any more right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
If anyone else is a loser like me and didn't do the exams until now (I only need to do 4 because I did 4 LLSA exams prior to the new pathway)...

1. Thoracorespiratory exam is actually pretty good and fair. Not difficult.
2. ABSOLUTELY do the social and behavioral exam. So easy my cat could pass it.

I'll let you know which other two I choose to do. I'm too tired to do any more right now.

How smart is your cat? Asking for a friend....

Members don't see this ad :)
I just did the required 4 tests last weekend and found them to be such a joke/money grab from ABEM. Each took about 20 min and two tests had sections copied verbatim from other tests (i.e. a section from cardiovascular questions was in the neuro section).

It was yet another embarassement for the field of emergency medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
I just did the required 4 tests last weekend and found them to be such a joke/money grab from ABEM. Each took about 20 min and two tests had sections copied verbatim from other tests (i.e. a section from cardiovascular questions was in the neuro section).

I agree, I find them simple and worthy of 15-20 minutes. Each test is roughly 2/3 on the topic listed, and 1/3 on “key advances”. Ergo, you can get repeated questions about applying the HEART score during your Neuro test, etc.

At least I can get CME credit for them now…

That was my experience. Easy. Money grab. I’ve only done 2. Got through in 20 -25 minutes.

I think the sit down 4 hour recert test at the dreaded Prometric test facility would have been far more stressful. This was the same cost, super easy. I put down my $1500 or so and did 3 hours of work and I’m good for another 14 years or so of board certification (+10 from original). Kind of a shame there wasn’t much learning but hey, that’s for self directed CME. This keeps the suits in board certification land happy and it’s off my plate likely forever.

Reactions: 1 user
Let’s be real: We would complain either way, whether it was super easy or challenging.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree, I find them simple and worthy of 15-20 minutes. Each test is roughly 2/3 on the topic listed, and 1/3 on “key advances”. Ergo, you can get repeated questions about applying the HEART score during your Neuro test, etc.

At least I can get CME credit for them now…

My last two exams had the exact same sequence of "key advances" questions on them, and in the same order.

Thankyoupleasedrivethru.

My last two exams had the exact same sequence of "key advances" questions on them, and in the same order.

Thankyoupleasedrivethru.
I mentioned the HEART score specifically as I think I’ve answered 20 questions that were just calculating it… I think the other topic I got a ludicrous number of questions on was to not give oxygen to a STEMI/MI unless they are hypoxic. Thanks for asking me that 6 times…’

I do think these are better than a 4hr in person huge test, and I do think “forcing” key advances questions onto everyone (the way LLSA articles forced us all to read the same studies) can be helpful on a national level to push the standard of care for certain things into certain patterns… this power can be wielded for good.

I mentioned the HEART score specifically as I think I’ve answered 20 questions that were just calculating it… I think the other topic I got a ludicrous number of questions on was to not give oxygen to a STEMI/MI unless they are hypoxic. Thanks for asking me that 6 times…’

I do think these are better than a 4hr in person huge test, and I do think “forcing” key advances questions onto everyone (the way LLSA articles forced us all to read the same studies) can be helpful on a national level to push the standard of care for certain things into certain patterns… this power can be wielded for good.

I agree.
Had the same experience and sentiment.