ABIM examination pass cutoff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morphinator

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my buddies just missed the cutoff score of 370 (he got 369). Apparently he got a raw score of 71%. I don't know about you guys but I have never taken a test before where 71% was failing. Did they raise the cutoff score this year?

Members don't see this ad.

One of my buddies just missed the cutoff score of 370 (he got 369). Apparently he got a raw score of 71%. I don't know about you guys but I have never taken a test before where 71% was failing. Did they raise the cutoff score this year?

Interesting. I wish they gave us more info about the median, average and total percentiles.

I thought we needed about 60% correct to pass.

The cutoff looks about the same compared with the last 1-2 years. The exam has been reformatted over the last 5 years, and it's possible that the cutoff has been raised over that period of time.

The score reports indicated that the average/mean was 500, with a standard deviation of 100. His 369 would fall in the "2nd decile". Some other people I know who scored in the 500s (around 80%) would fall in the "7th decile". Only about 20 questions separated them.
The other thing is, would you get a recount in that situation? I know the ABIM says a different score on recount would be very unlikely, and all they do is check the last clicked answer for each question with their records.