morphinator

10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
One of my buddies just missed the cutoff score of 370 (he got 369). Apparently he got a raw score of 71%. I don't know about you guys but I have never taken a test before where 71% was failing. Did they raise the cutoff score this year?

Shah_Patel_PT

MD
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
Status
Attending Physician
One of my buddies just missed the cutoff score of 370 (he got 369). Apparently he got a raw score of 71%. I don't know about you guys but I have never taken a test before where 71% was failing. Did they raise the cutoff score this year?
Interesting. I wish they gave us more info about the median, average and total percentiles.

I thought we needed about 60% correct to pass.

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
The cutoff looks about the same compared with the last 1-2 years. The exam has been reformatted over the last 5 years, and it's possible that the cutoff has been raised over that period of time.

OP
M

morphinator

10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The score reports indicated that the average/mean was 500, with a standard deviation of 100. His 369 would fall in the "2nd decile". Some other people I know who scored in the 500s (around 80%) would fall in the "7th decile". Only about 20 questions separated them.
The other thing is, would you get a recount in that situation? I know the ABIM says a different score on recount would be very unlikely, and all they do is check the last clicked answer for each question with their records.