ABIM research track competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tf21594

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
M1 here just exploring some career options. I couldn't find a good answer with a search so I figured I'd post a thread and ask. What constitutes "significant research experience" to make a competitive MD only applicant to one of the ABIM research track residencies? Does this mean time off during med school for a research training or would a few publications pass as significant?

Members don't see this ad.

In order to be taken seriously, you probably need to take at least a year off in med school in one of those research tracks (HHMI or the NIH program) and have at least a publication or two. Most of the people who wind up taking those spots have a PhD, but there's some self-selection involved and it is definitely possible to get offers without the PhD

Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate the reply! Would a year of full time research before one starts medical school with a few publications/abstracts be taken as seriously as taking a year off during school to pursue a fellowship of some sort?

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably, but I don't know for sure since I only have my own personal experience to go off on. It would depend on how good that experience was and what you were able to get out of it. Also, while it is definitely possible to get a research track position without the PhD at some places, it'll likely be out of reach for some of the super powerhouse places unless you were phenomenally lucky during your time before med school and wound up with a first author paper in Cell or something. If you are absolutely set on it, then the safest thing would be to continue something in med school and consider getting a PhD.

Reactions: 1 user
The research track is a suckers deal. Work just as hard, stress out just as much or worse, all for half the pay.

Are your career goals to have a job with a significant (e.g. >50%) research component?

Potentially. I want my career to involve significant research, though I'm not sure >50% just yet. I want to get some more clinical and research experience before I start fully considering how I want my work week divided. I appreciate everyone's input greatly!

You can always do clinical research in a non-research track. These are really for phds and hardcore researchers which I doubt you really are. Plus when you decide that a research career kind of sucks its easier to bail out of a regular slot.

Reactions: 4 users
You can always do clinical research in a non-research track. These are really for phds and hardcore researchers which I doubt you really are. Plus when you decide that a research career kind of sucks its easier to bail out of a regular slot.
This. Any good University program can facilitate a combined track with whatever subspecialty you'd like to focus in on the fly once you demonstrate you are an exemplary intern

This. Any good University program can facilitate a combined track with whatever subspecialty you'd like to focus in on the fly once you demonstrate you are an exemplary intern

I don't think this is always true. There are some programs that might offer you the ability to switch to a research track or have a similar arrangement, but this is generally not the norm. Also in order for this to even be a consideration, you would still need to have a good research CV and not just be a stellar intern. Many (though not all) of the research tracks take you on with the assumption that in about 6-7 years, you will be junior faculty at that institution - that's why the "fast track" interview days include meeting with 6+ faculty in that particular subspecialty in addition to the IM interviews. While I know that places have "clinical educator" tracks and so forth, if you are going through the ABIM fast track the expectation is that you'll be productive in research

Humbug

You should only consider the research track if you are 100% certain that you want 70% of your time dedicated to research for your career. Otherwise, just do a residency and fellowship. You can always add research years at the end if needed.

Bump.

Also curious to hear more about what others think of this program (if its worthwhile and all).

Bump.

Also curious to hear more about what others think of this program (if its worthwhile and all).

The research tracks are very competitive without high quality basic sci research/PhD. I applied as an MD-only with >10 original manuscript publications in clinical research and didn't get any interviews, but got top 20 invites from the regular tracks (of which I'd also applied the research track). I didn't mind though, as the research tracks require heavy commitment and seem more geared towards a basic science career. It makes sense they prioritize PhDs. You can get the same research grants after residency through the normal route, and also probably get more/better fellowship options if you want to transfer institutions (won't need the guarantee if your research is on par for these tracks). Also, the accelerated 2 years will be more rigorous than the regular track (less elective time).