about applying to the same schools that provided interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychdocstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply again this year and since I was rejected by three interviews I am wondering what I need to watch out for if I were to apply to these schools again. I know that it is case-by-case but I am not sure if there's something that I don't know about. it is generally a good thing to do or no? Did anyone get accepted when they applied the second time to the same school that provided them interview? Or I am worried that the previous interview experiences may have left some black marks?

Members don't see this ad.

I plan to apply again this year and since I was rejected by three interviews I am wondering what I need to watch out for if I were to apply to these schools again. I know that it is case-by-case but I am not sure if there's something that I don't know about. it is generally a good thing to do or no? Did anyone get accepted when they applied the second time to the same school that provided them interview? Or I am worried that the previous interview experiences may have left some black marks?

If it helps...I re-applied to places where I was initially rejected/waitlisted. I did get an acceptance from one of those schools (though I chose to go elsewhere.) My experience applying straight out of undergrad compared to applying out of an RA position completely changed the game. If you're really nervous or unsure about reapplying, email the POI, explain what changes you're making to improve your application, and ask if they frankly think you might have a chance next time around.

If it helps...I re-applied to places where I was initially rejected/waitlisted. I did get an acceptance from one of those schools (though I chose to go elsewhere.) My experience applying straight out of undergrad compared to applying out of an RA position completely changed the game. If you're really nervous or unsure about reapplying, email the POI, explain what changes you're making to improve your application, and ask if they frankly think you might have a chance next time around.

Agreed. My program has definitely interviewed and accepted multiple people it rejected in the past. They got more experience, became a better candidate, and it shows a lot of commitment to the program to want to apply a second time (and the winds were blowing differently, as is the luck with psychology programs). But, I'd say it doesn't hurt to ask. Because, and I am certainly not saying this about you, people also don't get in because of personality clashes. And those people don't get a second interview. Not that the PI would say that, but you could probably read between the lines if it was good idea to reapply.