About In-State Tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD Abroad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here, and I'm excited to read more and contribute to these forums. It all looks very exciting.

I am looking to do a post bacc after spending several years in the engineering field and then moving out to Thailand to teach math to high school students for a couple years. Originally, I am from Oregon and went to school at a well respected private university there. My GPA was ok for engineering (3.31). A post bacc should be my first step if I really want to become a doctor, like I dreamed of back in high school. I can raise my GPA some, and complete the pre-reqs.

My first question is an important one financially. Since I moved to Thailand two years ago, have I lost state residency in Oregon? I've looked for an answer to this on the web, and surprisingly can't find anything. Am I not a resident of any state for tuition purposes, since I've been gone for two years? This could really hurt as I wanted Oregon schools to be an option for me.

Looking on the positive side, if I'm not a resident any longer, I can go anywhere I want to establish residency, and don't have to have that possible in-state tuition back in Oregon hanging over my head. I'd much rather live in Arizona or Texas upon returning anyways. Warm weather suits me ;)

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for that link!

Yes, I'm a citizen. I was born in Portland, then moved to Arizona and came back to Oregon when I was three years old. I stayed in Oregon for 22 years including my time in undergrad. I've filed taxes there many times.

After reading through the link it looks like I would file Form 40N and would be considered a non-resident, since I will spend a total of zero days in Oregon through 2017.

So, I belong to no state according to Oregon's rules. Is there any hope I could use my ties to the state upon returning to gain in-state tuition? My entire family still lives there. I'm not coming back to the US until sometime between March and May.

Also, I will file Thailand taxes for 2017.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest email every school where you want to go to.

Residency FAQs | Admissions

What are the key considerations for determining my residency classification?
  • Establishment of a domicile and predominant physical presence in Oregon for a period of 12 months or more prior to the beginning of the term for which you are seeking residency
  • Financial dependence on an Oregon resident or financial independence
  • Primary purpose for being in Oregon other than to obtain an education
  • Nature and source of financial resources
  • Various other indicators of residency (e.g., ownership of Oregon living quarters, permanent Oregon employment, payment of Oregon income taxes)

That is great advice. I'm already on the email train and have a phone appointment coming up soon. I'll keep these questions in front of me during the call. Thanks!